The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Been a while since I've posted here. (First time all season I think.) I hope everyone is having a good season themselves.

I'm like most of you, constantly trying to better myself at what I do. I'd like to ask all of you a question about coaches you see, if I may. I'm sure you see some plain horrible coaches and some good ones too. And then there are those very special ones...the ones that year after year, they put a product on the floor that is truly something to be seen. His/her players appear to be willing to go through the wall for them. What kids of things do you see from your perspective that make them special?

Thanks in advance...

coachgrd
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
Been a while since I've posted here. (First time all season I think.) I hope everyone is having a good season themselves.

I'm like most of you, constantly trying to better myself at what I do. I'd like to ask all of you a question about coaches you see, if I may. I'm sure you see some plain horrible coaches and some good ones too. And then there are those very special ones...the ones that year after year, they put a product on the floor that is truly something to be seen. His/her players appear to be willing to go through the wall for them. What kids of things do you see from your perspective that make them special?

Thanks in advance...

coachgrd
Especially at the level of 7/8 grade, and Freshman levels,

1. Winning isn't everything. You are more interested in coaching fundamentals, executing plays and maintaining healthy attitude than in racking up the points.

2. Winning isn't everything. You know from the very depths of your soul that you've succeeded if the kids mature, have fun, and learn something under your guidance. The points don't necessarily reflect that.

3. Winning isn't everything. You protect your kids from the negative influences of their friends, family and teachers. If a kid makes a mistake, or has a bad day, you don't allow the kid to be belittled, berated or chastised. You see to it that the kid learns and grows.

4. Winning isn't everything. You reward improvement and achievement of personal goals, rather than points scored.

Last but not least...

5. Winning isn't anything.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

one thing i've noticed; when a player is subbed out and comes to the bench, before they sit or once seated, the Head Coach will come find them, hand on shoulder, and they have a quick 1 minute talk. What they say, I don't know but they are nose to nose, eye to eye, the Coach is talking and the Player is nodding in agreement. I presume the Coach is either complimenting, encouraging or simply reinforcing a coaching point. Whatever it is, the player sits down and doesn't look dejected and is ready to cheer on the team.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
What makes a great coach.
1) respect. The coaches respect their players and the players in turn respect the coach.
2) Willingness to work with the players. Not try to force a square peg into a round hole. If they guy can't rebound, find out if he can dribble or shoot and play him accordingly.
3) Passion for the game. They love what they do and it shows.
4) They have a love for the players too. This goes along with respect. I don't mean the kind of love that gets you in hot water on sexual hurrasment charges but one of "I'll do anything to make you the best player you can be."
5) They are knowledgeable. The coaches that have been there for 20 years all can quote the rule book better then half of the officials. They also know who's call it is. I saw one coach really light into an official who called a travel right in front of his partner. That coach won state that year.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'll agrre with everything stated. I would also like to see coaches show up in appropriate attire. I submit that "App Attire" is a judgemental thing. I think that sweats, xxl hooded sweatshirt, and flip flops should not be acceptable for a coach. Too bad we can't write that into the rulebook.

2 cents....out here....
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
What kids of things do you see from your perspective that make them special?
I like the track that Chris was on. I think the special coaches are those whose expect their players to focus only on playing hard and well. They don't tolerate nonsense from their players, whether that nonsense is directed at opponents, teammates, officials or fans. There is a calmness about them; even if they are intense, they know and you know that no matter what happens on the court, they'll be fine.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Another thing that gets my respect is when a coach immediately sits a kid down on the bench after he showboats or disrespects an official or member of the opposing team. All too many times a coach will encourage and reward this type of behavior.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

The special coaches that I believe you are talking about bring a high level of intensity to the game. Their comments to their players are always about doing something better or giving more effort on defense. Even if the coach is being critical, he does it in a way that makes his player want to play harder and do better, rather than tearing him down and making him actually play worse.

Comments I hear are "We have to have a better entry pass than that." "We need that loose ball." "Let's be smart."
"You have to step up and accept the challenge to shut that guy down." "We decide when we shoot, not the defense, now move the ball until we get a good look."

I can see the kids respond to this and they play harder and better. The coach inspires his team and leads them, but doesn't scare or belittle them.
He is also the first to loudly praise and congratulate a player for doing something right.
These are the winning programs here.
Oh, one other that I particularly liked, "He's bigger than you, but you have more heart."