The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

I had a situation the other night in a varsity contest where team A shoots the ball and misses . The ball is headed out of bounds under the basket when a player from team A saves the ball all the way back across halfcourt and I am like this isn't backcourt , but I know the team B coach is gonna question this one and he did. My partner and I talked about it and we think we got it right. Did we?
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moref
I had a situation the other night in a varsity contest where team A shoots the ball and misses . The ball is headed out of bounds under the basket when a player from team A saves the ball all the way back across halfcourt and I am like this isn't backcourt , but I know the team B coach is gonna question this one and he did. My partner and I talked about it and we think we got it right. Did we?
Team control for Team A ended when the shot was attempted. So it depends on whether or not you think that A1 had gained control of the ball before sending it into backcourt. If A1 caught it before throwing it into backcourt, then you'd probably rule control and you'd then have a backcourt violation. If it was more of a tip, then no control and no violation.

Z
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
If A1 caught it before throwing it into backcourt, then you'd probably rule control and you'd then have a backcourt violation.
IF Team A then touched the ball first.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moref
I have yet to see a player save the ball along the end line by batting it and have that ball go all the way into the backcourt untouched. Causing the ball to go this far is usually a dead give away that the player making the save caught the ball with one hand and threw it, thus he had control.

I would have ruled your play a backcourt violation if a member of Team A was the first to touch the ball after it entered the backcourt.

I have seen players bat rebounds back into the backcourt without establishing control from the middle of the lane though.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Same kind of play, but pressing situation

Team A has ball in backcourt, Team B pressing. B1 taps ball away from A1, and the ball is heading out of bounds, B2 jumps in the air grabs the ball and while still in the air turns and throws the ball into B's backcourt to B3!!!!
We did call a backcourt violation, but got questioned on it... i felt team B gained control in there frontcourt when he jumped in the air, therefore when he threw it into his backcourt we had a violation...

Correct or not???
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Team A has ball in backcourt, Team B pressing. B1 taps ball away from A1, and the ball is heading out of bounds, B2 jumps in the air grabs the ball and while still in the air turns and throws the ball into B's backcourt to B3!!!!
We did call a backcourt violation, but got questioned on it... i felt team B gained control in there frontcourt when he jumped in the air, therefore when he threw it into his backcourt we had a violation...

Correct or not???
Yep. You said grabs the ball and throws. That's control.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

the coach tried to argue that, since he was in the air, he shouldn't of been considered in either court... i said he was in front court when he left the ground so that is where he was while he was in the air... he didn't agree, but he got over it... haha
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the coach tried to argue that, since he was in the air, he shouldn't of been considered in either court... i said he was in front court when he left the ground so that is where he was while he was in the air... he didn't agree, but he got over it... haha
And you were right on by rule (4-35-3) - good call!
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, a good call indeed. Court (player) position in this case is determined by where the players feet left the court. Similar to A2 jumping from back court and while in the air catching a pass from A1 who had established Team A control in the front court. This would be back court. This same theory does not apply to the defense if the defense jumps from team A's front court and intercepts a ball in air and lands in team B's front court. Your key word is control.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiliBob
This same theory does not apply to the defense if the defense jumps from team A's front court and intercepts a ball in air and lands in team B's front court.
Actually, it does apply. But the rules allow the defender to do this, much the same way it does on throw-ins and jump balls.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is better stated that the rules "allow" this as opposed to "does not apply". Good correction.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiliBob
Yes, it is better stated that the rules "allow" this as opposed to "does not apply". Good correction.
Exactly. It especially comes into play when that airborne player passes the ball to a teammate in his backcourt.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Had one in a girls JV game yesterday.

Minute & a half left in the 4th, home team up by 3. H1 is bringing the ball up court & gets double teamed just before she reaches the division line. H1 passes to H2, who is standing just across the division line with both feet in front court by a foot or so. Ball bounces off H2's hands back into back court - H2 goes after the ball and as soon as she touches it I blow the whistle & call the violation. Home coach & assistant (who is varsity head coach) both come off the bench - I ignore the assistant and explain the rule to the head coach, then tell her she needs to get her bench under control. Visitors inbound the ball & we finish the game - home ends up winning by 5 when all is said & done.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:36pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
You are where you were last...
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
H1 passes to H2, who is standing just across the division line with both feet in front court by a foot or so. Ball bounces off H2's hands back into back court - H2 goes after the ball and as soon as she touches it I blow the whistle & call the violation. Home coach & assistant (who is varsity head coach) both come off the bench
I'm curious as to why they would not think this is a BC violation? Did they say why? Of course, the obvious reason is because they have the typical coach's knowledge of the rules.