The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:18pm
MWI

I know that teams warmup opposite their bench prior to the game. But if one team leaves the court, is it legal for the remaining team to go full cout warm up drill or use the vacant basket? Thanks and hope all of you have a great New Year.

Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 04:34pm
9 times

Sure.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't allow it, once we're at the 15 minute mark. At some point, the other team will return. Nothing good can come from this.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 05:43pm
M.A.S.H.

I see what BktBallRef is saying and it's something to really think about if these teams have bad blood. However, my guess (I know, I shouldn't be doing this), is that if a team has a warmup drill that's full court and it starts whenever the other team leaves the floor. Then I'd say they've probably been doing it all year and got a pretty good idea to return to their end of the court when the other team returns.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen this happen.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I have never seen this happen.
Really?

This happens , around here, about once or twice a year...we let them do it and so far have never had a problem. The team using the full court has always got off the other end immediately when their opponents come back.

I see your point though...and if your crew didn't feel comfortable with it, I would have no problem with not allowing it.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just a difference in areas, I guess. I've never had it happen. For that reason, it would probably be looked down upon.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 07:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just a difference in areas, I guess. I've never had it happen. For that reason, it would probably be looked down upon.
Happens all the time in my neck of the woods.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 07:27pm
M.A.S.H.

I see it probably two or three times a year.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 08:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My team did it in HS. When I went back there for a varsity game, they did it again. I never even thought about it being a problem as long as they vacate the area immediately.
They basically use it for a full court fast break drill; three on two, two on one.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MWI
I know that teams warmup opposite their bench prior to the game. But if one team leaves the court, is it legal for the remaining team to go full cout warm up drill or use the vacant basket? Thanks and hope all of you have a great New Year.

I've never seen it. However, I think I would just direct the team back to their appropriate end. Even if they vacated quickly when the other team returned, it doesn't seem right that the other team should have to wait even 5 seconds to have their side vacated.

I don't believe it's specifically addressed in the book so 2-3 probably applies. For me, each team gets an end to warm-up on and just because one team isn't on their end for a bit doesn't give the other team the right to use it.

Z
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Happens all the time in my neck of the woods.
Happens all the time here as well. When the other team comes back, the team goes back to their position on the court. No drama. No nothing. It is so common no one makes an issue out of it.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with it as long as they clear the other end when the other team comes out. I've seen it done several times with no problems. Sometimes I think we get too "officious" and want to control everything.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
I have no problem with it as long as they clear the other end when the other team comes out. I've seen it done several times with no problems. Sometimes I think we get too "officious" and want to control everything.
Like I said, it's not specifically addressed so do what works for you. Around here, I've never seen it and I like it that way so if I was the first official around here to see it, I would just politely ask the team to return to their end and that would be the end of it.

There was a POE that came out a couple years ago having to do with teams doing the "circle the wagons" thing which involved a team running around the opponents warm-up area. In the officials manual it tells officials where to stand and tells them what team they will observe. By doing that, it assumes that each team will be on ONE end. Not specifically addressed but based on those two things, I just wouldn't allow it.

Z

Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
There was a POE that came out a couple years ago having to do with teams doing the "circle the wagons" thing which involved a team running around the opponents warm-up area. In the officials manual it tells officials where to stand and tells them what team they will observe. By doing that, it assumes that each team will be on ONE end. Not specifically addressed but based on those two things, I just wouldn't allow it.

Z

And the interpretation apparently was applied differently in different areas. That action was never outlawed here unless the opposing team purposely interfered with the team warm ups. They still do that as commonly as they did before. It was not a big problem before that POE and it was not a big problem afterwards.

The warm-up was just so the team could run a full court drill. Teams do not do it (at least around here) to intimidate anyone. They do it so that they can run a drill commonly used. Once the team comes back, they go right back to their position. I have never once seen this ever as a problem. We did it when I was in HS and I still see teams do it today.

Peace