The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm about to call a 3-seconds violation when I hear the opposing coach yell from the other end of the court, "THREE SECONDS!!!!!"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it takes every decent bone in my body to actually make that call. Makes me look like I didn't see it until he "helped" me see it. Argggghhhhhhhh.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

That actually happens quite a bit like they are holding a stop watch and everytime a toe of the opposing team gets in the key they push the start button. Gets under my skin too.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree... annoying to say the least

If it is avoidable in this situation, I am going to hold my whistle a little longer and let them play on.... if the player in question stays in the lane for an additional 2-3 seconds I will call it.

Another factor that plays into my judgement: Has the coach been begging for everything all night, or is this a rare observation and request.

IF you chose to whistle THIS play on the heels of the coach's demand you are giving the impression that you can be influenced by the "squeaky wheel" coach.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I'm about to call a 3-seconds violation when I hear the opposing coach yell from the other end of the court, "THREE SECONDS!!!!!"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it takes every decent bone in my body to actually make that call. Makes me look like I didn't see it until he "helped" me see it. Argggghhhhhhhh.
They do the same thing for traveling, double dribble etc. Most of the time I just think that they are really "into the game". I agree that it appears that they made the call. I just ignore them and continue to do my thing. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Pull a Daveism. After a quater go sit next to the coach. When he ask you what you are doing say " Well since you can see the game so good over here, I thought I would call it from here."
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

If the coach is that dedicated to getting that call, I think we should, at the next natural stoppage, go over to the coach and discuss his concerns. Mention to him that although he means well it isn't appropriate and that if he persists you're going to have to call an unsporting technical on him. That should get his focus back on his players and his coaching
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Pull a Daveism. After a quater go sit next to the coach. When he ask you what you are doing say " Well since you can see the game so good over here, I thought I would call it from here."
I was actually scheduled to work a holiday tournament game with Dave tomorrow evening - until one of the teams dropped out at the last minute and the game was cancelled. Too bad, I was looking forward to it. I did work a preason varsity scrimage with him & Smitty - both good officials & lots of fun to work with.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
I did a similar thing a coach was on my back all game then at half time i went and sat right im between him and his assistant coach and he said " What are u doing ?" and then i said "Coach heres my whistle seeing u are doing such a good job on telling how to referee ill coach and then u can referee" embarassingly he took my whistle we had a good laugh about it and he got off my case.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Future909
That actually happens quite a bit like they are holding a stop watch and everytime a toe of the opposing team gets in the key they push the start button. Gets under my skin too.
for some reason they think it's helping the game, the whole time your paying more attention to the illegal screens and calling those fouls because they're not properly coached. Seems that if they worked their teams as hard as they worked us they could win alot more games.

sometimes when you mention it to them, they just say; "i'm just talking out loud" or "i'm not trying to tell you your job, I'm just into the game". i know what i usually say here, but what do you guys say to get them to hush?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

What I do in that situation. If a coach hollars for 3 seconds, he can hollar all night. I will not satisfy him with the call. It will make you look like the coach made you make the call.

I tell the players to get out of the lane first and if they don't comply then I bang them.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

how bout this perspective: maybe, just maybe, Coach is actually coaching his team to make sure they understand that the person they're guarding has been in the lane to long and that they had better not do that at the other end. Or maybe, they can't find the person they're supposed to be guarding so he's yelling 3 seconds to give them a clue as to where they can find them. Sort of like a friendly game of Marco Polo.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
how bout this perspective: maybe, just maybe, Coach is actually coaching his team to make sure they understand that the person they're guarding has been in the lane to long and that they had better not do that at the other end. Or maybe, they can't find the person they're supposed to be guarding so he's yelling 3 seconds to give them a clue as to where they can find them. Sort of like a friendly game of Marco Polo.
Chris, I have some ocean-front property for sale in Wisconsin. You interested?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

A lot of coaches will do this if they think you've missed the call the last few times down the court. Many coaches don't understand that the count gets reset after every shot, and they rarely hear the ref warning the players to get out of the lane.

I wonder what the coach would do if you called out "Play 1-3-1 trap on defense", the next time you went near him?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

While it is possible that the Coach is coaching rather than reffing (a-hem, snicker-snicker, roll-of-the-eyes, smirk), I am reasonably certain that there is no ocean near Wisconsin so you got jipped when you bought that property Rich.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

In a boys JV game last year I had a coach yelling for 3 seconds the entire first half. I didn't give him a call. At halftime I asked how he was counting? His answer was 1, 2,3. I told him a count like that is only 2 seconds. I did not hear from him in the second half.