The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

So let me get this straight.

If I follow the logic in this thread than the following applies as well. A1 goes in for a layup and gets hacked. Coach yells for a foul, but since he yelled, I choose to ignore the call. Or, A1 dribbling on the baseline steps on the line, coach yells "he's on the line," so I choose to ignore it.

Folks, we are referees. Our job is to enforce the rules that we've been provided with in order for the players to have a fair chance at winning the game. Our job is not to show up the coaches, nor is it to prove that they can't influence us. If you were going to call 3 seconds, call it. If it's a call you don't make, don't call it. Please remember that we are not above the game. We are just a small piece of it. Coaches beg for calls all of the time. If they're right they should get the call. If not, ignore them. If necessary, discuss it with them. If truly needed, T them. Giving one team an advantage just to spite a noisy coach....I don't think so.

Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
So let me get this straight.

If I follow the logic in this thread than the following applies as well. A1 goes in for a layup and gets hacked. Coach yells for a foul, but since he yelled, I choose to ignore the call. Or, A1 dribbling on the baseline steps on the line, coach yells "he's on the line," so I choose to ignore it.

Folks, we are referees. Our job is to enforce the rules that we've been provided with in order for the players to have a fair chance at winning the game. Our job is not to show up the coaches, nor is it to prove that they can't influence us. If you were going to call 3 seconds, call it. If it's a call you don't make, don't call it. Please remember that we are not above the game. We are just a small piece of it. Coaches beg for calls all of the time. If they're right they should get the call. If not, ignore them. If necessary, discuss it with them. If truly needed, T them. Giving one team an advantage just to spite a noisy coach....I don't think so.

Make the call and inform the coach that you're quite capable of officiating without his help. I did this in a girls' JV game when the coach shouted "It's two if it goes" while the opposing team took a shot from about 17 feet. As I ran by him, I told him "I've got it, coach."
He called a timeout, and came to talk with me, expressing concern that there were fans shouting all kinds of advice and I chose to confront him. I calmly informed him that fans get much more discretion than coaches.