The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, I had my first experience using a precission timer to operate the game clock. It didn't work as well as I thought it would. There were a couple of times when the clock didn't stop on the whistle and we had to reset it. I guess the microphone didn't pick up the whistle. I was just wondering, how many of you have used this clock management wonder and what do you think of it? I haven't decided if I like it or not. I'll have to try it again and see how it goes.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have used the system 3 times. I like it. We had some problems with the whistle stopping the clock as well. It is difficult to have to remember to start the clock, but that is because you rarely ever use the system to begin with. I had very little problem with it. It just got in the way of a normal routine. Other than that it was great.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

They finally got Precision Time at the Marriot Center (Brigham Young University's arena). Saw a little bit of oddity as I watched the officials. Sometimes it appeared that two people were starting the clock. I would have thought that only one official would do that. And it looked a little odd to see the administering official on a throw-in have his "chop" hand on his belt rather than in the air.

They also got LED lights for the backboard. What a difference that made!
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Never used it. However, it is always used at our State Finals and it seems to work just fine. I've never seen any problems where the clock didn't stop on a whistle.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:56pm
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Sometimes it appeared that two people were starting the clock. I would have thought that only one official would do that. And it looked a little odd to see the administering official on a throw-in have his "chop" hand on his belt rather than in the air.
BITS,

Was it an NCAA women's game? If so, on front court endline throw-ins the Trail has a chop and the lead counts and chops with the same arm. That would lead to both officials being prepared to start the clock with PTS.

OCReferee
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Quote:
Sometimes it appeared that two people were starting the clock. I would have thought that only one official would do that. And it looked a little odd to see the administering official on a throw-in have his "chop" hand on his belt rather than in the air.
BITS,

Was it an NCAA women's game? If so, on front court endline throw-ins the Trail has a chop and the lead counts and chops with the same arm. That would lead to both officials being prepared to start the clock with PTS.

OCReferee
Some mechanics have multiple / all officials (and the timer) start the clock in case the administering official foregets, doesn't hit the switch properly, ...

Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Quote:
BITS,

OCReferee
Nope. NCAA men's.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I've used it 12 to 15 times a season for the past 3 or 4 years.

The batteries die very quickly. We work a VG/VB doubleheader each night. We usually don't turn on the belt pack until we enter the floor. They'll last for two games if you do that. Two weeks ago, I arrived at the school and found the packs already turned on at 5:15pm. Girls game starts at 6pm. By the third qtr., myself and one partner were having problems. The console indicates when the batteries are low and the batteries were low in those two packs. So make sure you have fresh batteries.

Also, the mic needs to stay as close to the whistle as possible. You have to make sure that it doesn't slide down the lanyard from your whistle.

As for the mechanics, I use the NBA mechanics for starting the clock. I place my right hand on the button on the pack, and count with my left hand. Then I start the clock and chop with the left hand as i end the count. We aren't required to chop but I like the mechanic. It let's the timer and my partners know what's going on. As Bob said, multiple officials may start the clock when one of the officials is not used to using the equipment.

When we were just using it a couple of times a season, it was difficult to get used to the mechanics. But having used it so many times, it's not a problem anymore.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

A few notes on PTS - from using/seeing it used a few times while working at the table.

First of all, only one unit actually "starts" the clock - any signals coming after that are ignored. I've seen both methods of starting, though - only the chopping official and anyone who sees it.

Second, for anyone doing NCAA - you need to be very careful in the last minute of the game. Often the timer is a bit complacent by that time of the game, and forgets to stop the clock. This is then compounded by the officials forgetting to start it back up.

Third, what Tony says about the microphones is absolutely true - I've seen the microphone become ineffective with a slip of about a quarter inch. Batteries are also a problem. An astute timer will be able to realize when the whistle isn't stopping/push-button isn't starting the clock, and should be able to pinpoint which official it is and tell them.

Finally, something I noticed a few weekends ago. When using PTS, officials need to be very careful when a delayed FT violation is called, especially by L or T. Whether time was chopped in, then the whistle sounded or the whistle sounded, clock was chopped in, then the timer had to stop the clock, we lost time off the clock several times in a series of D-I games with, shall we say, fairly competent refs. Be careful with this and, as always, make sure you correct every timing mistake.