Thread: Precision Time
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

A few notes on PTS - from using/seeing it used a few times while working at the table.

First of all, only one unit actually "starts" the clock - any signals coming after that are ignored. I've seen both methods of starting, though - only the chopping official and anyone who sees it.

Second, for anyone doing NCAA - you need to be very careful in the last minute of the game. Often the timer is a bit complacent by that time of the game, and forgets to stop the clock. This is then compounded by the officials forgetting to start it back up.

Third, what Tony says about the microphones is absolutely true - I've seen the microphone become ineffective with a slip of about a quarter inch. Batteries are also a problem. An astute timer will be able to realize when the whistle isn't stopping/push-button isn't starting the clock, and should be able to pinpoint which official it is and tell them.

Finally, something I noticed a few weekends ago. When using PTS, officials need to be very careful when a delayed FT violation is called, especially by L or T. Whether time was chopped in, then the whistle sounded or the whistle sounded, clock was chopped in, then the timer had to stop the clock, we lost time off the clock several times in a series of D-I games with, shall we say, fairly competent refs. Be careful with this and, as always, make sure you correct every timing mistake.