The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

After reading the "Whats wrong with you guys" post I got feeling a little "squirrely" and decided to exhibit some of the same physical qualities as our furry friend.

First, this forum fits the description of a moderated newsgroup. If any post contains objectionable material it should be the moderators' job to censor such posts.

The last time I checked, my computer has Norton Internet Security with "Parental Controls" set at the highest level and it has never blocked a page from this web site.

Next, this is the Internet. And the Internet is coverd by the First Amendment, (freedom of speech etc.)

Further, this site is a dot.com meaning that the costs associated with operating http://www.officialforum.com must come from sponsors through links to their business enterprises. The point here is that the more "hits" the site has the more sponsors will want to get on board and an occasional "flame war" between members increases the "hits".

None of us pay dues or a fee to use this site.

Normally I don't jump in on ongoing discussions, opting to post my basketball related question and wait for the replies. This has been helpful to my development as an official and has offered me a great deal of enjoyment reading the variety of posts whether basketball related or not. I am grateful to the members who have responed to my posts, and hopefully someday when I hit the century mark, I too can earn the prestigious title of "SENIOR MEMBER".

So, my answer to "What's wrong with this site?" is:

"I got nuthin"

USAF Academy Values
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
After reading the "Whats wrong with you guys" post I got feeling a little "squirrely" and decided to exhibit some of the same physical qualities as our furry friend.

First, this forum fits the description of a moderated newsgroup. If any post contains objectionable material it should be the moderators' job to censor such posts.

The last time I checked, my computer has Norton Internet Security with "Parental Controls" set at the highest level and it has never blocked a page from this web site.

Next, this is the Internet. And the Internet is coverd by the First Amendment, (freedom of speech etc.)

Further, this site is a dot.com meaning that the costs associated with operating http://www.officialforum.com must come from sponsors through links to their business enterprises. The point here is that the more "hits" the site has the more sponsors will want to get on board and an occasional "flame war" between members increases the "hits".

None of us pay dues or a fee to use this site.

Normally I don't jump in on ongoing discussions, opting to post my basketball related question and wait for the replies. This has been helpful to my development as an official and has offered me a great deal of enjoyment reading the variety of posts whether basketball related or not. I am grateful to the members who have responed to my posts, and hopefully someday when I hit the century mark, I too can earn the prestigious title of "SENIOR MEMBER".

So, my answer to "What's wrong with this site?" is:

"I got nuthin"
Awww, don't worry about it Cyber-Ref....
the little girl that posted that thread has been caught.
She stole the password from our esteemed member and has since been admonished.
We can look forward to having said member's typically insightful and entertaining posts very soon.

(Ok...I "borrowed" that stolen password thing...but I LMAO so much the first time I read it...I just thought it might be appropriately used again.)
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref

Actually, it doesn't.

The 1st amendment only prohibits the government from restricting your speech. It makes no limitations on private parties or the internet unless imposed by the government.

The owners of this site have the complete legal authority to restrict whatever speech they choose. It may or may not be honorable, ethical, fair, sensible, or justified, but they can do what they want.