The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone work without a lanyard? I worked on it all summer so I could do it during the season and not drop the Fox, and I'm happy to say I haven't dropped one yet.

However, I had an assigner at the game several nights ago and he asked for one good reason why I do it, and I couldn't come up with a good one, so I told him I didn't have any reason in particular. My personal reason is I figure everyone needs their niche, and maybe that would be mine...??? Unfortunately, I have no better reason than that for why I work without one.

What I'm asking from you is to provide me with one solid benefit to working without a lanyard. Yes, I keep a noose and whistle under my stripes for 'emergency' use, but haven't had to use it...so far!

Can you think of a good reason?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Anyone work without a lanyard? I worked on it all summer so I could do it during the season and not drop the Fox, and I'm happy to say I haven't dropped one yet.

However, I had an assigner at the game several nights ago and he asked for one good reason why I do it, and I couldn't come up with a good one, so I told him I didn't have any reason in particular. My personal reason is I figure everyone needs their niche, and maybe that would be mine...??? Unfortunately, I have no better reason than that for why I work without one.

What I'm asking from you is to provide me with one solid benefit to working without a lanyard. Yes, I keep a noose and whistle under my stripes for 'emergency' use, but haven't had to use it...so far!

No.

Might hurt you getting games from the assignor who saw you.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well one good reason is that the whistle will eventually fall out of your mouth (whether you get hit or whatever). When you do, it's better that it ends up hanging from your neck rather than on the floor.

Z
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I can't think of a reason, it's just personal preference. I know that in my area, I haven't seen anyone without a lanyard.

Now that being said, I can't think of a good reason not to work with a lanyard.

Although an evaluator told me I should get rid of the noose and go to the smitty because everyone else has one. I guess everyone wants us to look the same.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I worked some summer games that way to help me slow down and I never dropped it but always kept a backup under my shirt because I envisioned it dropping and then stepping on it and crushing. As soon as season started, I went back to my noose. I've been told not to show up at any camps without one.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I would never even think about trying it. But I don't care what someone else does. The learning part of this is very entertaining, though!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down No lanyard!!???

That's ridiculous.

I don't know of any pausible reason to not use a lanyard.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 06:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had to try it for a quarter one time when the medal hook fell off or bent where my lanyard could not stay on the shirt. I kept spitting out the whistle and it would fall to the floor each time I blew air into it. I hated the experience and ever since have used a neck lanyard. I do not see how anyone can do that, but I know some have tried and succeeded. You do not see it very often anymore, but I know guys that go without a lanyard in the summer. I guess I just do not see the point. But if you can successfully do that and no one has a problem with it in your area, more power to you.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I did hear one guy say ...

Quote:

We have a group of guys that have been trying this for a year or so and its very entertaining to watch them drop it and pick it up etc.,

The reason one of our college officials gave me for doing it is that it makes him slow down. He has to take his time to blow the whistle, signal, then remove it etc.,

I didn't see how it helps at all, but that was his take.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I can't think of one good reason not to use a lanyard and can think of countless headaches and problems. I can't even see using the finger Fox 40's like a lot of guys do in soccerworking on the hardwood.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

At the high school level, it seems like they don't want you to have a niche or personal style.

College seems to be more laxed, in fact you might get props for going no-lanyard.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
Anyone besides me ever hooked their neck lanyard with their fingers while raising fist or hand upwards? When something trys to pull the whistle out of your teeth it is a natural reaction for your teeth to clamp down harder, at least thats what mine did. It hurt like heck. I still use a lanyard but could see that as a benefit of not using one.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

When I was giving a direction signal, I snagged my hand on my lanyard, and choked myself with my noose. Everyone had a good laugh over that one.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
College seems to be more laxed, in fact you might get props for going no-lanyard.
I have never seen anyone at the college level not use a lanyard. I only saw this from the NBA Refs of the 80s. Nowadays all the NBA Refs use a lanyard. At least what I see.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do that for some men's league games. I have not dropped the whistle since the first game I tried to do it.

It's fun to do every once in awhile.