The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I attended an away game last night, and I tried to pay special attention to the ref's work (amazing how much more interesting the game is when viewed from this perspective).

I thought they did an excellent job.

One of the first calls was a technical foul for A1 going out of bounds around a defender then coming back in bounds and being the first to touch the ball.

The ref whistled and then calmly explained the situation to the coach. No problem.

I also noticed another official trying to explain his blocking calls on A1 (who was moving on his screens)...I saw him say "you are moving with him." I assume A1 should have been moving his feet faster than B1, or let B1 pass if he couldn't get LGP.

I also saw a couple of double-foul calls...our post and their post were getting really physical, and this seemed to calm that business down. Our post ended up getting three fouls within less than a minute, but from what I saw, they were deserved.

All in all, a good game.

Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Cool

So jepPE, what you're telling me is that some refs were reffing some teams in a gym somewhere and they did a great job.

Super-duper!

Oh ya, and you had to travel to get there.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, that's the gist of it...although the intent of my post was to convey my opinion that the game was more interesting because I was trying to focus on what the ref's were doing.

(I was going to say something sarcastic like "Congratulations for having an excellent grasp of the English language", but I wasn't sure if that would have been appropriate.)
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by jebPE

I also noticed another official trying to explain his blocking calls on A1 (who was moving on his screens)...I saw him say "you are moving with him." I assume A1 should have been moving his feet faster than B1, or let B1 pass if he couldn't get LGP.

jeb, neither of your assumptions are correct. LGP is not relevant to screening action.

You said you have the ncaa book, look at 10-22 (that's rule 10 article 22, personal foul by screener).

I would guess that "you are moving with him" might mean the screener was moving into his opponent after the contact, either to maintain the screen or inadvertently as he rolled off the screen. Or any number of other things I suppose.

Anyway read the rule & see if it makes sense.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 10, Section 22, Article 4:
No player, while moving, shall set a screen that causes contact or delays an opponent from reaching a desired position.

I suppose if A1 gets around B1's screen, and B1 moves with A1 in an effort to keep the screen, it would be a blocking foul (assuming B1 doesn't use his hands)? I missed the ref's signal to the scorer's table.

Makes sense to me.

Thanks Dan.

(Hey, where's scyguy? We just had a non-negative conversation.)