The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:50am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
We had this discussion in our Association meeting last night.

When A and B have players with blood if they choose to keep them in the game they each have to request a timeout be granted. Now, my question is do you now have 2 minuets of TO or do you run them at the same time? I swear I heard somewhere when they run simultaniously but I couldn't find it anywhere. This leads me to believe that what I heard was wrong.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:55am
M.A.S.H.

You heard and remembered correctly! I don't have a book in front of me though to give a reference. Maybe someone else can help you out there.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:31pm
M.A.S.H.

Question: If A1 and B1 both have blood on them, however as officials we don't see it on B1. Team A's coach requests a time-out(full) so that A1 can stay in the game. While I am on the block during the time-out I notice B1 changing shirts or whatever. Do I charge Team B with a time-out IF a) B1 changes into another shirt but the same number. I realize we would have to charge them a time-out if they switched numbers, because we would have to change it in the book. Thanks
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:01pm
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
You heard and remembered correctly! I don't have a book in front of me though to give a reference. Maybe someone else can help you out there.
I NEED the rules reference, I was the only one in the association that would do it this way. I NEED that refrence.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
I NEED the rules reference, I was the only one in the association that would do it this way. I NEED that refrence.
Here you go 3-6 (Page 24)
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:32pm
I drank what?

Quote:
Question: If A1 and B1 both have blood on them, however as officials we don't see it on B1. Team A's coach requests a time-out(full) so that A1 can stay in the game. While I am on the block during the time-out I notice B1 changing shirts or whatever. Do I charge Team B with a time-out IF a) B1 changes into another shirt but the same number. I realize we would have to charge them a time-out if they switched numbers, because we would have to change it in the book. Thanks
You didn't notice the blood till he was changing the shirt so I would let it slide because you didn't send him to change. They got a way with one there.

What does the rule say? I don't have my book with me.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Like you, I remember reading that the time-outs run simultaneously if both A1 and B1 have blood on them and both teams want a time-out to keep the players in the game. I can't find that specifically stated in the rulebook or case book so I'm thinking that I heard it at our interpreter's meeting. ??

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:37pm
M.A.S.H.

A player who is bleeding, has an open wound, has and excessive amount of blood on his/her uniform, or has blood on his/her person, shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

NOTE: (Arts. 5,6) If players from both teams are directed to leave the game because of injury/blood, both teams must request and be granted time-out in order to keep each player in the game.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Quote:
Like you, I remember reading that the time-outs run simultaneously if both A1 and B1 have blood on them and both teams want a time-out to keep the players in the game. I can't find that specifically stated in the rulebook or case book so I'm thinking that I heard it at our interpreter's meeting. ??

Z
Z,
It is right under it (3-6) on page 24.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Z

Z,
It is right under it (3-6) on page 24.
That only says that both teams have to call a time-out. It doesn't say that they run concurrently.

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:04pm
M.A.S.H.

Sorry Z, read the thread too fast. Yes I would agree with you. I can find it anywhere! (Help please) However, like you said I do remember hearing it at a rules meeting.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That only says that both teams have to call a time-out. It doesn't say that they run concurrently.

Z
The RefMag "handout" that we get at the rules meeting includes the clarification. I don't recall the source they cite, though.

Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Thanks bob. Yes I found it. Give me about 20 minutes and I'll have it posted here Z.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Z
The RefMag "handout" that we get at the rules meeting includes the clarification. I don't recall the source they cite, though.

Yeah, the NFHS 6 or 8 page pamphlet clarifies this issue. They don't cite a source, as they are the source.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:29pm
M.A.S.H.

'Buy-In' Time-out Further Explanined

An editorial change by the Basketball Rules Committee added a new note clarigying that both teams much request a time-out in order to keep two opposing players in the game that were both directed to leave for injury/blood (3-3-6 note).

Play 1: A1 and B2 accidentaly bump heads and are both bleeding. The officials stop play and beckon trainers on the court. While A1 and B2 are helped to their respective bench areas, Team A's coach requests and is granted a time-out. Team A intends to use the time-out to get A1 read to play and keep A1 in the game.
Ruling 1: A1 is allowed to continue play (pending all medical issues are resolved by rule) since Team A "bought" A1's way back into the game with a time-out. Even though Team A was charged the time-out, B2 cannot be allowed back in the game unless Team B is also charged a time-out. Unless charged, B2 maybe only return to action at the next legal opportunity to substitute. When simultaneously bleeding opponents are discovered, once the medical situation is addressed the officials should tell both head coaches substitutes are required unless they intend to keep their player in the game via a time-out. If the coaches wish to have injuried players remain in the game, the time-outs are charged immediately and are run concurrently. That means Team A's time-out and Team B's time-out run are the same time, not one after the other. Assuming all other attributes of the rule are met, both injuried players may return immediately following the time-out. If one team does not initially take a time-out to by the injuried player back into the game, the 30 second subsitution clock is started to get the injuried player's replacement tinot the game before a time-out is granted. Either team may request and be granted a time-out for injury "buy in" purposes until the 30-second substitution time linit expires. Once the substitute is in, the other team's time-out begins.

Play 2: A1 and B2 accidentally bump heads and are both bleeding. The officials stop play and beckon trainers on the court. While A1 and B2 are helped to their respective bench areas, the officials should tell both head coaches substitutes are required unless they want a timout to "buy" their injured player back into the game. Team A's coach wants the timeout while team B's coach doesn't.
Ruling 2: Before team A's timeout is granted, B2 must be replaced with a substitute. Once the official is informed team B does not intend to take are timeout, the official notifies the scorer to start the 30-second substitution interval. If a Team B substitute reports and is beckoned into the game, Team A's time-out is then started. Team A may then keep A1 in the game. If during the 30-second substitution interbal Team B's coach changes his or her mind and now was to "buy" B2 back in, that is legal if the substitue has not already reported and been beckoned into the game. Once Team B requests a time-out, both Team's and Team's A time-outs are charged immediately and run concurrently (at the same time). A1 and B2 are then allowed back in the game.

Geez, that's a lot of typing! There you go.

T Jones

[Edited by tjones1 on Dec 14th, 2004 at 03:32 PM]