The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Well basketball is back on for me.

After working a scrimmage a few weeks ago and feeling when the ball went up that I had forgotten everything I'd learned after which guy's the lead and which is the trail (kudos to the always helpful JRutledge for tips that night), I was very apprehensive about returning to the court this past weekend for my first game of the season (my second season).

But halfway through the game (a freshman girls' game, the highest level I've ever done) it started to feel comfortable again. I still made mistakes, but I had a veteran (37 years) partner who was very helpful and felt good about it when it was over. I wasn't apprehensive anymore, I was actually looking forward to the two games I had scheduled tonight.

Well it turned into one game because one of the schools didn't have enough players for a B game, and the timing got screwed up because the AD told me the game was at 5 and it was at 5:30 so I left work about 45 minutes earlier than I needed to. But they paid us for both games anyway, so that was cool.

After working this game I feel even better. I mean, I have a long way to go as an official, but I'm not apprehensive anymore. I've been watching other guys and taking the advice of people to slow down, have some presence and carry myself more like a person of authority. I think those three simple things are big keys to success for a new official.

My partner tonight was another veteran who was extremely helpful. I made a few mistakes again (note to self: after you make the charge call on the blarge---my first one ever---you have to actually go over and report the foul, numbnuts), but nobody griped and when it was over I actually was wishing there was a second game because I was ready to go.

Sorry to ramble. Just for the less experienced guys - relax, listen and watch and then go out and put the lessons to work.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

The first game of my second season brought the most "officiating panic" I've ever experienced. I remember thinking, "What do I do? Will I remember my signals? What about reporting fouls? Oh my God, I don't remember what to do."

Soon after the game was underway, it all came back to me. Like they say, just like riding a bike. Not to be too cocky, though. It took about four years of experience before I felt like I had it all together (and this is my second sport I officiate), could pay attention to all aspects of the game.

What helped me was NOT leting on that is was my first game or my first year, or my second game, or my second year (at least not to coaches). Having the "aura" of knowing what you are doing goes a long way. Of course, working with veterans that have good mechanics, etc. is excellent.

Keep up the good work and have fun.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
the always helpful JRutledge
Biting. . . tongue. . . mustn't. . . be. . . sarcastic. . .
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
the always helpful JRutledge
Biting. . . tongue. . . mustn't. . . be. . . sarcastic. . .
Also biting tongue.... resisting typing urge..... laughing inside ..... trying to walk the high road...... how much longer can I hang on? ...

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I know it must be really hard to believe.....

but some of us have a life outside of the internet. This is what I do to pass time. I actually spend more quality time talking to officials about situations and plays. Over and Back was at some scrimmages I was helping officials and that is what I am suppose to do as a board member of one of my organizations. And Over and Back is a member of my football organization which I also hold a board position. I am sure his comments were about my interactions outside of this board (or any internet site for that matter). Some of us can talk about baseball and many other things with actual friends and fellow officials off the internet.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I know it must be really hard to believe.....

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
but some of us have a life outside of the internet. This is what I do to pass time. I actually spend more quality time talking to officials about situations and plays. Over and Back was at some scrimmages I was helping officials and that is what I am suppose to do as a board member of one of my organizations. And Over and Back is a member of my football organization which I also hold a board position. I am sure his comments were about my interactions outside of this board (or any internet site for that matter). Some of us can talk about baseball and many other things with actual friends and fellow officials off the internet.

Peace
Rut,

I have no doubt that you are civil and helpful to other officials in "real life." I have just never understood your reasons why you have to be so caustic and abrasive at times on this board. I have seen your reasons ("it's just a discussion board...it's not real".... etc.), I've just never understood them. Oh well, I have learned to use your quality stuff and ignore the rants and tangents.

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

We are not here for the same things.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Rut,

I have no doubt that you are civil and helpful to other officials in "real life." I have just never understood your reasons why you have to be so caustic and abrasive at times on this board. I have seen your reasons ("it's just a discussion board...it's not real".... etc.), I've just never understood them. Oh well, I have learned to use your quality stuff and ignore the rants and tangents.

Z
I come here for different reasons than most. I do not come here to be liked. I do not come here to agree with everyone regardless of how stupid or ignit I feel their position is. I come here to state what the truth is as I know it and to share what we do where I live. Is that an oversimplification? Of course it is. But I do not say things that are safe just to make you happy. No one learns from that type of talk. If you do not have the stomach to hear the truth from people (whether you agree with it or not), then why are you here? When I ask question I want the truth or different opinions. I take what I think is good and I throw out what does not work or is not acceptable to me. At the end of the day I have to decide what works and I cannot get upset at anyone when I put myself out there. If that bothers you, it is just going to have to bother you. If we were ever going to meet, I would do the exact have the very same attitude with you. I would rather be hated for speaking my mind than hiding my true feelings and not help you one bit (and loved by all).

I gave a presentation in early November at a clinic about a couple of issues. I was just as blunt and straight forward as I am here. I received nothing but positive feedback and the veterans that saw the presentation never once told me to not say what I was saying or admonished me for hurting anyoneÂ’s feelings. I was just as straight forward in my presentation as I was with the questions that I was asked. I could not go 10 feet without someone trying to speak to me and satisfied with what I told them. I do not say that to say I am the greatest, far from it. I only say that to suggest that my style of delivery was exactly the same and people loved it. I guess it is just about where you come from and how you are raised. I have never had a problem with people being upfront with me. But I have always known people that get offended when people tell them things that are true or share their opinion openly. Whether that conversation is about race, officiating or politics, there are always people that get upset when someone says something to them outside of their personal feelings. If that upsets people, I can live with that.

It is better to be wrong here and right in the end.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: We are not here for the same things.

Quote:
I do not come here to agree with everyone regardless of how stupid or ignit I feel their position is.
Another classic.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: We are not here for the same things.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
I do not come here to agree with everyone regardless of how stupid or ignit I feel their position is.
Another classic.
A fine example of the rants and tangents I was referring to. Blah, blah, blah....

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: We are not here for the same things.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

A fine example of the rants and tangents I was referring to. Blah, blah, blah....

Z
And every time I say something someone does not like they call me worse. So deal with it or do not read my posts. I do not lose money because you decide to not read them or respond to them. I do not like all favors of ice cream. You do not have to like all styles of posts or posters.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(a freshman girls' game, the highest level I've ever done) it started to feel comfortable again[/Quote]

You actually felt comfortable officiating a frosh girls' game?

That has got to be controlled Helter Skelter...OK maybe not controlled.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Dude, we all have our comfort zone.

I just feel comfortable when I feel like I have a handle on where I should be and I'm seeing everything okay and my brain actually clicks and says "Okay, that's fine....that's fine...four seconds....no contact there...okay, that's a foul, whistle, hand up, get the number, slow, be in control."

Regardless of what's going on out there (and the girls are a little bit helter skelter). I know I'm new at this, but it's starting to get through to me that I hardly ever see players out there, I just see rules. That may not make sense to anybody else, but who the players are doesn't matter much to me. They tell me it gets a little less frenetic and slightly easier to call as the players get more skilled and experienced, and maybe I'll find that out someday.

As for JRut, I can see where some people can get their feathers ruffled, but the guy's been nothing but helpful to me and as far as I'm concerned, he's the goods. He cares about this stuff and about seeing people besides himself do well. In that regard, I imagine he's a lot like the rest of you.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure what rookiedude means in his response. There is nothing wrong with doing Fresh girls games. Surely he wasn't being arrogant by saying there was.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

all RookieDude is saying is that Freshman girls can be tough to officiate because most of the time there is no flow to the game and it invariably involves a myriad of held ball situations....he is not putting down anyone
Rook - if I am putting the wrong words in your mouth let me know
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Frosh girls

Herding cats.

Rabbit race.

helter skelter.

wresting match.

wreck-o-rama.

Jumping bean fiesta.

10 seconds of scrapping at a time. Tweet!

Just funning. We all started there.