The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Matt Tabak
Smile

Dear Group,

As a new member to the forum, I just wanted to drop a note and say "hi" to everyone. I am a brand new official (translation: total of 0 games under my belt) that is currently in training to officiate college intramural leagues. Although I have no doubt the amount of training provided us will be inadequate before the first game I hope to continually improve and learn. I've always held a fascination with officiating although I've never pursued it seriously until now. Well... here goes nothing... Any, and I mean any, advice on brand new, and I mean brand new, officials entering the position would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back next week with specific questions Until then...

Matt Tabak
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Slow down. Slow down, slow down, slow down! Take your time.

There's no need to be in a big hurry. See the whole play. Don't anticipate a foul or violation. As sure as you are that there's going to be a foul, there isn't one and you've blown the whistle. Watch the defensive player, not the offensive player.

Oh, did I mention that you need to slow down?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

If you can get a hold of a rule book, study it.
Some tips & myths:
(1) Fouls: call them when you have an advantage/disadvantage gaiined from the contact
(2) Learn the Backcourt rule (i.e. both feet and the ball must have gained frontcourt status before someone can be called for a backcourt...)
(3) 3 seconds is longer than coaches think
(4) Over the back is not in the rulebook, but over the backboard is!
(5) player holding the ball falls to floor or touches one knee down is a travel.
(6) read this disscussion daily for words of wisdom's, rules disscussions and "Daveism's" (you get it soon enuf)
(7) Have fun
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

1) Make sure all your equipment is in working order and good condition.

2) When you tie one shoe, retie the other.

3) Never, ever let your mom/wife/girlfriend/domestic partner pack your bag for you.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Mom!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
3) Never, ever let your mom/wife/girlfriend/domestic partner pack your bag for you. [/B]
Mom: "Oh son, you just don't look good in stripes so I packed a red shirt for you instead. And those shoes looked so uncomfortable I took them out and packed you some sandles instead. And those pants look like they'd make you hot, so I packed you a pair of kacki dress shorts cause I know you've got to look nice."

:-)

Seriously though.

#1 Blow the whistle HARD!! The one thing that undermines my confidence in a partner is a little "tweet" of the whistle. If your going to blow you whistle let everyone know it!

#2 Mechanics are as important as rules knowledge. Practice in front of a mirror or video tape yourself. Get the fist UP UP UP for fouls and the hand UP UP UP for violations. Once you get this down, you are headed the right way.

There is a lot more that can be said, but choose one thing to work on your first game and work hard at it. The next game, pick something new. This is the BEST advice I was given.

Thanks!

[Edited by mikesears on Feb 9th, 2001 at 08:10 AM]
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Thumbs up

1) study the game. aspire to be the best official you can.

2) don't get involved emotionally. maintain your composure when everyone around you is losing theirs.

3) hustle

4) even though a particular game may not be important to you, it is very important to the players. work hard for them.

5) look sharp (appearance, conditioning, mechanics)

6) have fun
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Don't go looking for fouls to call. Just get the obvious. There are always more than enough obvious fouls to call.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 11:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

There's a really good way to prepare yourself for the tirades you will get from players, coaches and fans.

Record the sound of fingernails across a blackboard. Lock yourself in a small closet and play the tape in a continuous loop for 90 minutes while running in place. During this time, do not say a single word or utter any sound.

When you're done, hit yourself on the top of the head 30 or 40 times as you wonder why you wanted to become a ref in the first place.

Welcome to our world.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 11:50am
Suppref

Two more things

Great advice from all the above, here are two more things for you to consider...
First...Repeat after me
"I would have liked to get a better look at that one, coach"
Second Have fun.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Hey that's enough advice. Next he might take some of my games or worse my whole schedule. Just Kid'N! Good luck and work hard. I started the same way, now I'm working college. Remember, Alway's ask your co-official if he/she has anything they see(criticism/advice) after your game. Veteran officials are reluctant to give advice unless it's requested. Then we never shut up
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The only thing you need to do is learn the rules for now. When you actually call the game, learn to blow your whistle. The fans will let you know when you have blown it too much.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 05:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Set goals now!!!!!

Set goals now and modify them yearly, monthly or after every game if need be. Because no matter what you do in officiating, you must approach the game in a certain way or you might just be lost. Always have some kind of goal for every game (number of T's, game management, hustle) and try to set that goal if you can. If you do not achieve that goal, it is not the end of the world, you might just need to change something. But this is the foundation for your success, because if you want to do college games, your goals and approach might be totally different than if you just want to do rec. league games. But since this is very personal, only you can realize what you want to accomplish, certainly not anyone else can decide for you.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Everything I have read hear is good advise-and here is mine-
a. call the shooting fouls;
b.disregard minor violations;
c.watch and call rough stuff off ball when it's not in your area;
d. Hustle always to be in good position to make your calls;
e.dress properly and look the part;
f.control the game under the hoop!!!!;

There are probably many more , but remember at the college intermural level these people will know the game pretty well and will expect you to let them play but keep the blood off the floor. don't irritate them by calling the "chicken s--t" stuff- remember the most irritating thing in basketball is the whistle-every time you blow it at least %50 of the participants and fans are unhappy- make your "no-call" your best calls-that's the key to great officiating
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Matt,

Here's my 2 cents...

1. Get as much floor time as you can. There's nothing like just DOING it.

2. Don't beat yourself up too badly when you blow it. (And you WILL blow a call. Believe me...it makes you feel MAJOR crappy for awhile, but eventually you gotta don the stripes and get back out there.)

3. When your partner messes up, treat him/her as you would like to be treated.

Take care and have fun!!

Paul
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Smile All good advice...

Welcome to the wide world of officiating!

All the above, and ....

1.) Work as many games as you can. This also means looking for "lower level" (5th, 6th grade) games and up.

2) Try to find a mentor that you can use as an observer/partner for non-biased feedback.

3.) Join your local official's association. The association will also be a possible resource for a mentor. Our association only charges 1/2 rate dues for students.

4.) Review this forum often. Perhaps you will learn about a situation and mentally log the answer and avoid an embarassing situation on your court.

5.) Re-stressing BsktballRef's advice... SLOW DOWN!

6.) Have fun!