The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm finding one of my biggest problems, as a new ref, is "rushing" my foul and violation calls. Sometimes I don't get the arm up because I have this sense of having to "rush" through the call.. Has anyone anthing similiar when they first started? Any suggestions on what I can do to help slow myself down?

Thanks..
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dguig
I'm finding one of my biggest problems, as a new ref, is "rushing" my foul and violation calls. Sometimes I don't get the arm up because I have this sense of having to "rush" through the call.. Has anyone anthing similiar when they first started? Any suggestions on what I can do to help slow myself down?

Thanks..
I don't know of any officials that didn't rush when they first started. It's to be expected. It's just something you'll have to keep telling yourself and keep working on. Patient whistle and slow mechanics. Work on your mechanics in the mirror and notice that even when they feel slow, they are still too fast. Next game, blow your whistle for a foul and just stand there with your fist up for an uncomfortably long time before you give your preliminary signal. It'll feel weird, but it's a start. You'll get there.

Z
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dguig

Thanks..
Watch a game with a good varsity ref. Follow along with the signals (this is less embarassing if you video the good ref, and watch and follow along at home.)

When I was learning the ref volleyball, the teacher made us all stand up and practice together. She had a specific rhythm that she used, and we did it with her. You might try to find someone to help you in that way.

Another thing you can do is to try to catch the eye of the book person, and then carefully tell him or her with your actions what happend. Watch to make sure he or she understands, as you go.

Take a course or two in American Sign Language or Signed Exact English. This has the added advantage that learning a new language (which ASL is) increases your I.Q. by a few points.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

The hardest thing at the beginning for most officials is to get your arm up along with your whistle. This is very common for all of us at the start. Usually it takes half the season to get that mechanic to be apart of you. Just practice, practice, practice and you will get it. You do not have to actually blow a whistle. Just simulate the whistle but practice on the signal. You might have heard this before. The best way to get down your mechanics is to simply get in the mirror and practice so you can see what you look like.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:25pm
cingram

Just slow it down in your head.

Make sure you get your hand/fist up.

Sometimes you will have to rush it to sell the call (block or charge).

Besides that practice, practice, practice... Work in front of a mirror, practice proper mechanics in all level of games (don't get lazy)

Practice does not make perfect... Perfect practice makes perfect.

Don't worry it will come.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
Just slow it down in your head.

Make sure you get your hand/fist up.

Sometimes you will have to rush it to sell the call (block or charge).

Besides that practice, practice, practice... Work in front of a mirror, practice proper mechanics in all level of games (don't get lazy)

Practice makes Permanent
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
One of the first things I had to work on was getting my arm up and not worrying about what my hand was doing.

Watch ANY game on TV, preferably the level you call, as you watch the game watch for the calls that should be made and if you hear a whistle get your arm up.

Keep doing this untill it becomes second nature to get your arm up when you hear a whistle.

If you accidently get it up in a game when your partner blows his/her whistle, play it off as calling for the ball.

Once you get used to getting your arm up then get your hand to coordinate with what you want to say.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics manual Paragraph ~230

If you look close at the mechanics procedure there is a very specific rythm of Hustle, Stop, Hustle, Stop, Hustle.

HUSTLE
to be in position and make the needed calls

STOP
to inform the players (and your partner) of what you have called - shirt color, player number, nature of the foul, who is going to shoot or whose ball it will be and where.

HUSTLE
always around the players (never through the middle of them), to make your report

STOP
where your view of the table is unimpeded, to report to the scorer. Again shirt color (no "FOULZ ON" crap), number, nature of the foul, and result.

HUSTLE
to get into position for play to begin again. Nod to your partner and let-r-rip.

Sound off and make your signals cleanly. You are talking to, communicating with, everyone in the room - not just a couple of players. Make sure your stops are stops, and you shouldn't have much problem with timing. Additionally, if you make that effort to notify the players of your call at the location of its occurence, you likely won't forget the player's number when you get in front of the table to REPEAT what you have already said to the players.

Welcome aboard !!!
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

[/B]
Where did you get that from? I use that! You must be from PA!
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Get in front of a mirror and practice your time and whistle blowing. You are your worst evaluator. I did this every night for about 10 minutes and now I am complimented on my mechanics. I also watch some of the college officials (especially on the women side). Hope this helps.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

this worked for me, work a few rec level games and remove the lanyard from your whistle, yes, go NBA style. This will slow you down, or else you'll be wiping alot of floor off your whistle.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And then you have the mantra of losers everywhere which is, "practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect so why practice?"

Z