Thread: mechanics
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dguig
I'm finding one of my biggest problems, as a new ref, is "rushing" my foul and violation calls. Sometimes I don't get the arm up because I have this sense of having to "rush" through the call.. Has anyone anthing similiar when they first started? Any suggestions on what I can do to help slow myself down?

Thanks..
Watch a game with a good varsity ref. Follow along with the signals (this is less embarassing if you video the good ref, and watch and follow along at home.)

When I was learning the ref volleyball, the teacher made us all stand up and practice together. She had a specific rhythm that she used, and we did it with her. You might try to find someone to help you in that way.

Another thing you can do is to try to catch the eye of the book person, and then carefully tell him or her with your actions what happend. Watch to make sure he or she understands, as you go.

Take a course or two in American Sign Language or Signed Exact English. This has the added advantage that learning a new language (which ASL is) increases your I.Q. by a few points.