The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd say it depends on how loud the coach says it. If he says it loud enough for just his player and you to hear it, he's just making a point and I'd simply chalk it up to his attitude and brace myself for a lack of cooperation.
If, however, he says it loud enough for the gym to hear it, I'd be tempted to whack him since he's now trying to show you up.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

In this instance, the coach was talking directly to the player. The only reason I heard it is that I was near his bench heading down the court at the time. Although I felt that he didn't do the kid any favors by telling him that, I didn't see any reason to T him up or even acknowledge the comment. Goes back to what we have all said to coaches at one time or another, I'll officiate and you coach. I wasn't going to tell him how to coach his players. I will note that once the kid in question returned to the game he never said a word to me or my partner for the remainder of the contest. Maybe he did learn something after all.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:23pm
M.A.S.H.

I think you have to T the coach. What if your partner made a call and he sat him on the bench and told him that. I know I'd ring him up without question for trying to stand up my partner. Why should it be any different if it's directly towards you?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Our HS has a prima donna coach's son who's lippy. He plays 3 sports and mouths off in every one of them. Officials are hesitant to address the behavior because they don't want to lose games. Silly me T'ed him up in a basketball game 2 years ago and haven't had a call from the AD since. It's because it wasn't taken care of at an earlier age that he's such a terror now.

Whack the little beggar.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

A good official once told me that once you T a coach or player, (metaphorically speaking) put your fingers in your ears for 30 seconds or so. After that, if there are things said that warrant a second T, then give it.

Seems to me that the first T did the job. Would T'ing the coach have made the game better?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the last post. I would have made sure I took care of the kid, but then give the coach a little bit to blow of steam, unless he REALLY goes off.