The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Comment during live action (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16844-comment-during-live-action.html)

tjones1 Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:51pm

Should I of nailed him for this? During live action Team B has the ball. B1 is dribbling and starts to drive and he thinks he's fouled --but he wasn't. B1 then pulls back out beyond the 3-point arc and turns and looks at me "Come ref, didn't you not see that?!" Keep in mind this was an 8th grade game. To T or not to T that is the question? :)

T Jones

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Should I of nailed him for this? During live action Team B has the ball. B1 is dribbling and starts to drive and he thinks he's fouled --but he wasn't. B1 then pulls back out beyond the 3-point arc and turns and looks at me "Come ref, didn't you not see that?!" Keep in mind this was an 8th grade game. To T or not to T that is the question? :)

T Jones

As a Capo in the Youngstown Mafia: WHACK HIM!!!

MTD, Sr.

tjones1 Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:52pm

BTW: I did not do anything, just let play continue.

JRutledge Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:54pm

Bamm!!!

Junior High game, T.

Peace

Dan_ref Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:58pm

Quote:

You done good

TriggerMN Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:01am

Yep. Teach the kids a lesson at an early age.

Years ago I was doing a freshman game and dinged a lippy kid in the first quarter. He continued to be a spoiled brat for most of the game, and with about 2 minutes to go in a close game, somebody on the other team sort of got frustrated and bounced the ball down hard on the ground, but caught it again. Lippy turned to me and lavishly started insisting I give a T by signaling with his hands. Therefore, I granted the kid's team a time-out which I knew they didn't have. 2 free throws for the other team and an unfortunate loss for Lippy. Lesson taught.

David B Tue Dec 07, 2004 01:17am

Pretty much

Quote:

I would let it continue also, but I would let him know the next opportunity that it would not continue or happen again.

Jr. High its pretty easy to let the kids know your point of view. Either that or I let the coach know so he can handle it, (but that's only if I know the coach will)

So I agree with your decision.

thanks
David

rainmaker Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:01am

Quote:

T Jones

Once or twice when players get like this I've said, "If you want to trade shirts, you can ref and I"ll play. But your coach will not be happy to have me!" Sometimes, it works.

blindzebra Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:33am

Quote:

T Jones

Whack the little rat. That is a T every time, it's automatic.

GarthB Tue Dec 07, 2004 02:55am

8th grade brat? Whack him. And when he says "What the hell was that for?" your partner should whack him again.

tjones1 Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:24am

Looking back I know I should of. Because a foul was called and he made some comment (I was giving the throws). And before I gave the ball to him I walked up to him and stopped signed him. It didn't happen again that's for sure. So I probably should have, but I did stop sign him during a dead ball and it didn't happen again.

gordon30307 Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:31am

Quote:

T Jones

If only he and I heard the comment I may have done what you did. Depends on circumsatances of the game etc. If he made a spectacle of himself Tee him.

IowaMike Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:33am

Good point about only asking the coach to handle it if you know that they will. It has been my experience that a lot of coaches won't. As a recent example, I was doing a Jr High boys game a few weeks ago and after I called a foul on a certain player he looked at me and said "whatever" in a really snotty tone. I told him I didn't want to hear from him again. Few trips down the floor later, I whistled him for a travel. He again said whatever, and added "that was a crap call." I then issued him the T. Coach asked me what he said, I told him, he walked away. Coach removes the player from the game and tells him as he is sitting down, "I don't think you did anything wrong." Thanks coach.

rainmaker Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by IowaMike
I told him I didn't want to hear from him again. Few trips down the floor later, I whistled him for a travel. He again said whatever, and added "that was a crap call." I then issued him the T. Coach asked me what he said, I told him, he walked away. Coach removes the player from the game and tells him as he is sitting down, "I don't think you did anything wrong." Thanks coach.
That T was definitely earned and that coach is a jerk. Next question: Can we T a coach for that kind of remark?

GarthB Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by IowaMike
I told him I didn't want to hear from him again. Few trips down the floor later, I whistled him for a travel. He again said whatever, and added "that was a crap call." I then issued him the T. Coach asked me what he said, I told him, he walked away. Coach removes the player from the game and tells him as he is sitting down, "I don't think you did anything wrong." Thanks coach.
That T was definitely earned and that coach is a jerk. Next question: Can we T a coach for that kind of remark?

I don't believe so, unfortunately. He was addressing his player and it wasn't a remark that would incite. It just proved him to be what he is.