The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

unbelievable...two times my partner (3-man) screwed up and made the crew look horrible...

1st time, i'm c, he's lead in 3-man...drive clearly starts in my area, crash happens in my area--1 have a block, he has a charge...he overrules (he's the senior official)...

2nd time, i'm c, he's trail...ball in my area...he calls a walk from the other side of the floor (there was no walk anyway)...

unbelievable...
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 06:34pm
In Memoriam

Did you talk to him about it? Have you taken your complaints to your assignor?

How's his professionalism? Does he complain about his partners publically?
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 07:01pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
1st time, i'm c, he's lead in 3-man...drive clearly starts in my area, crash happens in my area--1 have a block, he has a charge...he overrules (he's the senior official)...

It shouldn't matter if he's a senior official or not. You guys are a team on the floor with assigned areas to call. In my area IF there is ever a double whistle like that guess who has to eat the call, that's right whoever's area it was not in. There's not much you can do other than talk to him and your assignor. Don't let it get you down though.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

What was your pregame like? I ask because a saw a D1 game last night that featured 3 block/charge calls coming on a drive from the C's side of the court, and contact occured on the T's side of the key and the L took every call, including one on a double-whistle. Looked like they'd pregamed that play. Of course to "overrule" a partner, especially in his primary is ridiculous, especially when since it seems he was unwilling to come together on a double whistle. I get upset if I get "overruled" on an OOB call, and it looks bad, communication is the key.

[Edited by SMEngmann on Dec 5th, 2004 at 08:57 PM]
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I get upset if I get "overruled" on an OOB call
How do you get "overruled" on an OOB call?...it's either your line or it isn't.

You might get some help...but, if it is your line it is ultimately your call.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

There's really nothing you can do about it except confront your partner. Earlier I had 2 rec league games (gr 9-10), there were a total of 35 fouls called, 33 were called by me, 2 by my partner. My partner wasn't a rookie, I just don't think he cared. His head wasn't in the game, which made the 2 of us look bad. There wasn't anything I could do about it, so I just hope I don't get assigned with this person again.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Try doing a rec league with 3 other people who are not referees but people who is on the leagues board. Not to good.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's okay, I had a bad partner in a 2man game the other nihgt. It's rough, just gotta move on and hope you don't work with him again.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Exactly what I mean. When my partner starts blowing his whistle and pointing in the different direction after I've made a call. Rarely ever happens, but if it does I make sure to bring it up next chance. Overruled is in quotes because technically it can't happen, but say I see something and my partner starts blowing his whistle and pointing the other way rather than simply offering help and I choose to let my call stand, it gives a really bad impression to everyone in the gym and is fodder for a coach to use in an argument.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

What's hard for me in this type of situation is that I always leave feeling worse about my own officiating in these games. I have two guys I work with some. I like these guys a lot! But working with them is intesting. First guy is a real veteran. Great book knowledge. Anything out of the ordinary happens and he can almost quote you paragraph and page.Problem is that he always seems to make some "unusual" calls -- something obscure that you would rarely see in the course of a season and that frankly usually has no bearing on game. For him the game is all black and white -- no gray areas for interpretation. But his calls are his calls and it's not my place to disagree. I always back him in front of the coaches even when I'm doubtful. Crowd gets on him. Coaches get on him. Players get frustrated.

Second guy blows everything all night regardless of where he is. He runs the baseline even to partner's side. Could care less about mechanics. He seems to think since he's been officating longer than some of us he needs to run the show. I often think I should just hand him the ball and get out of the way.

I always leave these games feeling like I've done a lesser job than ususual.

Any of you feel this way?

Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Exactly what I mean. When my partner starts blowing his whistle and pointing in the different direction after I've made a call. Rarely ever happens, but if it does I make sure to bring it up next chance. Overruled is in quotes because technically it can't happen, but say I see something and my partner starts blowing his whistle and pointing the other way rather than simply offering help and I choose to let my call stand, it gives a really bad impression to everyone in the gym and is fodder for a coach to use in an argument.
Around these parts...
we pre-game that if you happen to see an OOB call differently than your partner, and it was his/her line, do not go blowing your whistle and changing the call. Go to your partner and give your information. If the call is going to be reversed...let the calling official reverse it.

If your partner is ignoring that simple procedure...well...as mick says:
get in
get done
get out

But, I gotta tell ya...I would have to remind my partner about the way it should be done.
Richland, WA