View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

What's hard for me in this type of situation is that I always leave feeling worse about my own officiating in these games. I have two guys I work with some. I like these guys a lot! But working with them is intesting. First guy is a real veteran. Great book knowledge. Anything out of the ordinary happens and he can almost quote you paragraph and page.Problem is that he always seems to make some "unusual" calls -- something obscure that you would rarely see in the course of a season and that frankly usually has no bearing on game. For him the game is all black and white -- no gray areas for interpretation. But his calls are his calls and it's not my place to disagree. I always back him in front of the coaches even when I'm doubtful. Crowd gets on him. Coaches get on him. Players get frustrated.

Second guy blows everything all night regardless of where he is. He runs the baseline even to partner's side. Could care less about mechanics. He seems to think since he's been officating longer than some of us he needs to run the show. I often think I should just hand him the ball and get out of the way.

I always leave these games feeling like I've done a lesser job than ususual.

Any of you feel this way?