View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
drinkeii,
Chances are only one blew it, not all three.
Possible, but because of the complaints of the coach immediately following the call, all three got together, and ended up with the call standing. I realize that no ref can overrule another on a call, but I have always felt it is more important to get the call right, then to preserve a sense of refs not being wrong. In our area, it seems to be pretty well established that no ref could possibly be wrong, and it is a mortal sin to question your partner. I have been told by various officials in the past that there is never a bad call - what the ref calls is always correct, and should never be questioned. Officiating 3 sports, this is only true of the basketball officials - in the other two that I do (soccer and swimming), it is strongly encouraged to get together very quickly, if necessary, to make sure to get the call right. I have never had a problem with a fellow official saying "i saw this... " and changing my call if I was wrong. I don't understand why it is so frowned upon in basketball, at least in our area, by a number of officials.