The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Dumb question, but an earlier post made me think of this scenario (and I've never claimed to be a wise man). Team A calls a 30-second time out. The players are on the floor, huddled around their coach. A1 says something stupid to the referee who is standing at the top-of-the-key nearest the huddle and gets a technical foul. Would that be an indirect on the coach? It seems as if it should be because the players would be the coaches responsibility at that point, but by rule they technically aren't bench personnel or substitutes. Whatcha think?

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:53am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
... but by rule they technically aren't bench personnel or substitutes. Whatcha think?
You said it, Z.
leave the coach alone.
mick
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:55am
Administrator

Quote:
Dumb question, but an earlier post made me think of this scenario (and I've never claimed to be a wise man). Team A calls a 30-second time out. The players are on the floor, huddled around their coach. A1 says something stupid to the referee who is standing at the top-of-the-key nearest the huddle and gets a technical foul. Would that be an indirect on the coach? It seems as if it should be because the players would be the coaches responsibility at that point, but by rule they technically aren't bench personnel or substitutes. Whatcha think?

Z

If A1 is in the game when the timeout was granted and has not been replaced, then the TF is a direct against A1 and this is all. If A1 is bench personel, direct TF against A1 and indirect TF against Head Coach A.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Z

If A1 is in the game when the timeout was granted and has not been replaced, then the TF is a direct against A1 and this is all. If A1 is bench personel, direct TF against A1 and indirect TF against Head Coach A.

MTD, Sr.
MTD, you make it even more interesting. Since it is very doubtful that I can remember all 5 players that were in the game, how do I know if A1 was bench personnel or not? Ask the coach? Get up in that damn attic and see if this is addressed in the 1903 case book.

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Not during a time-out, but during intermission between quarters (halftime too) they are bench personnel and the coach does receive and indirect.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Z

MTD, Sr.
MTD, you make it even more interesting. Since it is very doubtful that I can remember all 5 players that were in the game, how do I know if A1 was bench personnel or not? Ask the coach? Get up in that damn attic and see if this is addressed in the 1903 case book.

Z
Z your scorer may know, since they are supposed to keep track of when a team member enters the game.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Not during a time-out, but during intermission between quarters (halftime too) they are bench personnel and the coach does receive and indirect.
Nevadaref,
But, are the players listed in the book?
Would that make a difference?
Reference?
Maybe I should look up "When is a team member a player?"
mick
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Z your scorer may know, since they are supposed to keep track of when a team member enters the game.
Yeah, but all they do is make a mark by each player that enters the game. If this is in the middle of the quarter, there may be 10 names marked and they'd have no idea which 5 are currently in.

Now this has never happened and I ain't real worried about it..... but this is a discussion board (and it's also Friday and this sure beats work).

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but all they do is make a mark by each player that enters the game. If this is in the middle of the quarter, there may be 10 names marked and they'd have no idea which 5 are currently in.

Now this has never happened and I ain't real worried about it..... but this is a discussion board (and it's also Friday and this sure beats work).

Z
They're supposed to keep tarack of who is in, so they know who has left, so they know when that person can reenter.

Most use a sheet of paper and cross off who has left and put down who has entered. It was easier went he subs had to report both numbers. So, if 1-5 started, 11 and 12 entered, then 21 entered, the sheet would look like:

X X 21
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

Z
They're supposed to keep tarack of who is in, so they know who has left, so they know when that person can reenter.

Most use a sheet of paper and cross off who has left and put down who has entered. It was easier went he subs had to report both numbers. So, if 1-5 started, 11 and 12 entered, then 21 entered, the sheet would look like:

X X 21
The next time I see this will be the first, I think. Maybe I've just never noticed.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 04:58pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

X X 21
The next time I see this will be the first, I think. Maybe I've just never noticed.
A few adult scorekeeps use that method U.P. here.
11 went out when 21 went in.

Sorta resembles the DP and Flex doesn't it?
mick
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Nevadaref,
Reference?
mick
10.4.1 Situation B and 4-34 should help.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 07:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Nevadaref,
Reference?
mick
10.4.1 Situation B and 4-34 should help.

Thanks, Nevadaref.