The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question:

As A lines up for a 1+1, a player line up in the spot next to the free throw shooter (illegal)

Is this a lane violation? If so, is it called before / after the shot?

I think it is called before the shot, and it negates the first shot.

What if this is a 2 shot foul? Will the lane vio. negate only the first shot or both?

Thanks
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rulebook with me so I can't quote what the actual ruling is but I will give my practical answer. If a player lines up there, it is the officials fault. To me this is equivalent to making sure there are two defensive players in the first two spaces. However, in this case make him/her move to the correct spot. If the ball is administered already and I notice it, I will hit my whistle, state that I have made a mistake, move the player to a legal spot and re-administer the FT.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Question:

As A lines up for a 1+1, a player line up in the spot next to the free throw shooter (illegal)

What if this is a 2 shot foul? Will the lane vio. negate only the first shot or both?

Thanks
It depends if offensive/defense has caused the infraction.

With defense it is delayed till after the shot.

With the offense it is called immediately and cancels that free throw. If it is the first of two, the shooter will still get the oppurtunity at the second shot.

Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I would hope the administering official would not let anyone line up in that space, which the rule book says is not a marked lane space.(8-1-4) If someone is not in a marked lane space they must be behing FT line extended and 3 pt. line. If it is a teammate of the free thrower I think it would be dead immediately, go other way if 1&1 shoot 2nd shot if multiple throws. If it is an opponent it is a delayed dead ball, if it goes count it if not shoot again. This is how I think it should be.

Shont
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I see this happen all the time, I just tell the player get out of there. Once they hear it a time or two, they stop lining up there. Preventive Officiating is the key!
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Question:

Thanks
Let me preface the following by saying that I agree the official made a mistake here and it could have been prevented. My personal approach? I would look to remedy this situation through "common sense officiating" which is fundamental to the game.

However, it is the responsibility of the coach(es) to be sure that their players are familiar with all the rules. If memory serves, that is stated in the rule book. So the player should already know that the top position is not to be occupied.

As far as the ruling, if the defense has taken the position, this is a delayed whistle situation. If the attempt is missed another attempt will be awarded. If the offense has take the position, the attempt is killed immediately.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Case Book play 8.1.4 covers this.