The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

T/F The goal counts if a live ball enters from above and passes through the basket while the clock is not running.

My understanding is the ball is live when it is at the disposal of a player who is inbounding the ball. If after a violation, time-out, or any situation where the clock has been stopped and the ball is to be put into play by a throw in, if the player inbounding the ball throws it through the basket, the goal does not count. Correct?

I have looked up the definition of "goal" to see if I may have missed something. I haven't found anything new, so I'm asking you for help.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I put true, remember a last minute shot if the ball is released before the buzzer and the basket goes, its good!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

You can't score a basket from an inbounds pass, unless the ball is touched by another player first. It is a violation.

Now a slight retreat, how about inadvertently inbounding the ball threw your opponents basket.

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

IREFU2 is correct, the answer to Question 59 is true.

SamIAm, it is a violation for the inbounder to throw the ball through either basket. See rule 9-2-7.

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
You can't score a basket from an inbounds pass, unless the ball is touched by another player first. It is a violation.

Now a slight retreat, how about inadvertently inbounding the ball threw your opponents basket.

Or....if a player(either team) interferes with the throw-in while it's in the cone over a basket.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
T/F The goal counts if a live ball enters from above and passes through the basket while the clock is not running.

My understanding is the ball is live when it is at the disposal of a player who is inbounding the ball. If after a violation, time-out, or any situation where the clock has been stopped and the ball is to be put into play by a throw in, if the player inbounding the ball throws it through the basket, the goal does not count. Correct?

I have looked up the definition of "goal" to see if I may have missed something. I haven't found anything new, so I'm asking you for help.
The test answer is true. FTs and the AND-1s are good examples of goals that count while the clock is stopped, but the ball is live.

It is true that PC fouls and throw-in violations cancel goals that may have gone through the basket during a live ball. But these two exceptions are not intended to make that question false.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
It is true that PC fouls and throw-in violations cancel goals that may have gone through the basket during a live ball. But these two exceptions are not intended to make that question false.
Seems to me that those are obvious examples that show the statement to be false. How can you determine which situations are "intended" to make the question false?

How about if the R makes a really bad toss to start the game that goes through a basket? Live ball, clock not running. . .

The answer is false.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Seems to me that those are obvious examples that show the statement to be false. How can you determine which situations are "intended" to make the question false?

How about if the R makes a really bad toss to start the game that goes through a basket? Live ball, clock not running. . .

The answer is false.
I think the point that the FED is trying to make here is rule 5-1-2. Let's not overcomplicate things.

"Whether the clock is running or stopped has no influence on the counting of a goal"

The answer is true.

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

The answer is false.
Hmmm....isn't the ball immediately dead on a PC under fed?

5-7-4

Isn't the ball dead as soon as the throw in enters (ie before it passes through) the basket?

9-2-7

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Isn't the ball dead as soon as the throw in enters (ie before it passes through) the basket?
Umm, yes, obviously. Ok, so your point is that the ball isn't live when "passes through" the basket in those cases, even tho it's live when it enters? I can live with that.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your help.

While going through college, I was forced to take a couple of class were we did nothing but prove mathmatical equations. I learned the quickest way to disprove something is to find a situation were it is false. Therefore, the reason I posted the question. One of the last posts taught me that when the ball enters the basket from an out of bounds throw in, it becomes dead. Thus in this situation, a live ball doesn't go through the hoop and the answer to this question is True.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

5-7-4

9-2-7

Actually, what I had in mind for the first one was a PC foul by an airborne shooter that occurs during the dead ball period AFTER the ball has passed through the basket.

As for the second one... maybe! Is the ball live when it enters the basket on the throw-in, but dead as soon as it enters? Who knows?

I took my information from 5-1-1 and 5-1-2.
And that this question appeared on a past NFHS test and the answer was true.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down The questions are poor

Those of us that have taken these idiot proof... no, no, no, prove-you're-not-an-idiot, tests for many years recognize that some of these questions could be justified as true or as false.

I think that this one was intended to be True. Airborne shooter is fouled. Whistle blows. Clock stops. Live ball goes through hoop. Goal counts. That was my reasoning.

Or how about a free throw. Ball is live when you give it to the shooter and it is live until it goes through the hoop and the clock never runs.

I think the principle being tested is that the ball can be live when the clock is not running.

Odds are 50-50 that any one of us got it correct.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Further explanation

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Or....if a player(either team) interferes with the throw-in while it's in the cone over a basket.
JR, What are saying here?

Also, if I inbound the ball so that it is in the cylinder over my basket and the defensive team snags the ball, is this basket intereference? Can it be, since this is not a legal try for goal? Or does that have any bearing on basket interference? If the ball was on a downward flight and the defender grabbed the ball, would this be goal tending?

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: Further explanation

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

JR, What are saying here?

Also, if I inbound the ball so that it is in the cylinder over my basket and the defensive team snags the ball, is this basket intereference? Can it be, since this is not a legal try for goal? Or does that have any bearing on basket interference? If the ball was on a downward flight and the defender grabbed the ball, would this be goal tending?

It is basket interference if a player touches the ball when it is above the cylinder, even during a throw-in. Goal-tending would not be a factor during a throw-in because it has to be a try.

I'm trying to remember now if the BI counts as 2 or 3. I would say that it counts as 2 because it was not an attempt behind the 3 point line. The thrower might have been behind the line but it was not an attempt.