The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ball in Blues frontcourt - ball goes backcourt after being tipped by defense and first touched by Blue in the backcourt - Trail, not seeing the tip, calls a backcourt violation.

Lead knows the ball was tipped by the defense. By rule this is not a correctable error.

How would you handle this?

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
Ball in Blues frontcourt - ball goes backcourt after being tipped by defense and first touched by Blue in the backcourt - Trail, not seeing the tip, calls a backcourt violation.

Lead knows the ball was tipped by the defense. By rule this is not a correctable error.

If I am the lead and I am 100% sure the call was incorrect, I would come to my partner and just give him information. If he wants to, he will change the call. There is a chance he saw something different than I did.

Changing this call has nothing to do whether it is a correctable error or not. You can change a lot of calls or situations that are not correctable errors. Correctable errors only deal with 5 situations that have a very specific timetable to correct the mistake in. Do not confuse the situations.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Well put JRutledge. Sometimes we just make doing the right thing too hard.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo

It's essentially the same play as if the defense had tipped the ball on the way OOB. You'd give the calling official the information and let that official change the call, if needed.

Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Wow, thats a long way to look from the lead, I would let my partner live or die by his call. My evaluator would go nuts if he knew I was looking up the court.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

if the ball was tipped on trails side i would have to let him live with it, but if it was tipped on the opposite side of where trail was and lead could of possibly had a better look at it... lead should come and ask if he seen the tip.. I'm like irefu2, that would be hard to explain if it was right in front of trail and lead was ball watching!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

ranjo,

Rut's answer is right on. In addition, these "help situations" are things you should iron out with your partners in pregame ("how are we going to handle it?").

IREFU2,

Read the scenario again. It doesn't say where the tip happened. It might have occurred in the lead's primary (hence explaining why the lead saw it and the trail did not).

Z
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Zebraman, I stand corrected, you are right. I would help "only" if the ball went on my side and I got a good look!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Smile I would..

I would rather get it right and take a little heat from an evaluator rather than get it wrong. Unless your evaluator was real anal he would certainly agree. One man's opinion.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Not ball watching

There is also such a thing as peripheral vision. I don't feel that it hurts to find the ball every once in a while. If not you may miss a lot of OOB calls on your line because you have no idea who just hit it out. Just because you know where the ball is does not neccessarily mean that you are ball watching. If you happen to see something in the process of finding the ball you can help out if it is needed.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Smile Tunnel vision...

I agree. I would rather have a partner with peripheral vision rather than tunnel vision. I do not have an ego when I officiate and will always accept help unless it becomes chronic and then we may have to sit down and talk about a few things.