The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

During a girls jv game last night on the very first shot of the game "A" shoots and the ball sticks between the backboard and the rim we go ap and give it to "B" no problem.Now we move on to midway in the third quarter and the same team sticks the ball again.Again the other team has the arrow so we give the signal.As soon as I point towords "B" a girl from "A" comes up to me and says why do they get it they got it last time this happened?I almost laughed out loud but I held it together long enough to tell her about the arrow and she looked at me like a dog hearing a high note.Then she turned and walked away shaking her head like her team got robbed.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

If I had $1 from every player, coach, and/or fan that verbally made me aware of their lack of rules knowledge, I'd be sending this reply in from my home on a sunny tropical island somewhere. I sometimes think that's one of the toughest parts of our job...to provide an interpretation of the rules just for (ignorant) people who don't know 'em.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool I learned this from Dave

Try this next game. Every time a coach yells something that indicates to you that he doesn't know a rule, keep track of it by yelling to your partner how many that makes. Have your partner do the same for the other coach. Usually you get up to about 4 or 5 before one of them asks what you are doing.

Tell them you're counting the rules they have demonstrated they don't know and the one who has the lowest total at the end of the game gets a cookie.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I learned this from Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Try this next game. Every time a coach yells something that indicates to you that he doesn't know a rule, keep track of it by yelling to your partner how many that makes. Have your partner do the same for the other coach. Usually you get up to about 4 or 5 before one of them asks what you are doing.

Tell them you're counting the rules they have demonstrated they don't know and the one who has the lowest total at the end of the game gets a cookie.
This is not in a "Howard" game, right?!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I held it together long enough to tell her about the arrow and she looked at me like a dog hearing a high note.
I know this look! Perfect description!! I will laugh out loud when I see this again, just thinking of your words...
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
If I had $1 from every player, coach, and/or fan that verbally made me aware of their lack of rules knowledge,
Since my postings here aren't verbal, would I save the buck for my ignorance?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I had $1 from every player, coach, and/or fan that verbally made me aware of their lack of rules knowledge, I'd be sending this reply in from my home on a sunny tropical island somewhere. I sometimes think that's one of the toughest parts of our job...to provide an interpretation of the rules just for (ignorant) people who don't know 'em.
Put a collection bucket in the stands at some big games, and an 18 year old could retire in one night.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 09:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Here's a story of a player that just doesn't get it. Maybe a little knowledge is dangerous.

I'm reffing a JV/V double header on Monday and in the V game, (one of) the point guard(s) of the visiting team, in the first half, has his pocket picked and the other team goes in for the easy 2 pts. I was L (T on the turnover), and hustle up and get as far as half, where this point guard is. He says that he was hacked and that I "...gotta make that call - it's your call...", and "...that's your call, I know because I ref too." The ball was clearly in the T's area (above the 3 point line), and I was watching the post players, who were quite big and pushy. I nearly pooped my pants when he said that.

Today I get his school again, but at home. He's a sub at about 2:00 left in the first quarter. I noticed that he has tape on his ear that was on during the warmup. (In our pre-game captains' conference, it was mentioned that you cannot play with jewelry.) So I tell him that he cannot play with an earring in, taped or not. He says that he can, and that he can't take it out. I told him that I'm sorry, but you cannot play with it in. He says that he played with it in before. I said nope. Then the coach wants to talk to me during a TO and wants an explanation. I tell him and thinks that I'm wrong. No prob, though. Then at half time, the kid comes up to me again, and wants another explanation.

What a dumb person!

..Mike
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

Your postings aren't verbal? No wonder we disagree on that "excess TO issue"

verbal adj 1 a of, relating to, or consisting of words

The opposite of "written" is "oral;" both oral communication and written communication are (usually) verbal.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I sometimes think that's one of the toughest parts of our job...to provide an interpretation of the rules just for (ignorant) people who don't know 'em.
This the why we don't get paid enough!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

The opposite of "written" is "oral;" both oral communication and written communication are (usually) verbal.
I prefer definition 3, Websters, "spoken rather than written." But if we accept your definition, this would already have cost me a buck!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

I prefer definition 3, Websters, "spoken rather than written." But if we accept your definition, this would already have cost me a buck!
My two-year-old has a speech and language disorder and cannot speak, so he uses sign language. In the sign language community, there are three categories namely, verbal, oral, and written. Verbal is for any words, signed, oral, or written. Oral and written are subcategories and may or may not apply to various situations. I like this since my son is clearly past the pre-verbal stage of development, but doesn't have much oral language. I can confidently claim that he is verbal, even though he doesn't speak. The funny part is that he's better at ref signals than a lot of V officials!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think we need case book examples for the applicability of various definitions.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker My two-year-old has a speech and language disorder and cannot speak, so he uses sign language. In the sign language community, there are three categories namely, verbal, oral, and written. Verbal is for any words, signed, oral, or written. . . . I can confidently claim that (my son) is verbal, even though he doesn't speak.
rainmaker,

Not that this all actually pertains to basketball, but since I work with deaf youngsters K-12 who rely on sign language, thought I'd throw out my support that sign language is, indeed, verbal--it just isn't "spoken." Good distinction. Now, back to basketball . . .