The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Question All these tests

I am curious about some of the tests mentioned on this board. What is Part I versus Part II? Are there other tests? Are they used for different things or are there multiple tests for the same thing?

In New Hampshire, I take a test each year (I don't exactly know its origin except that I get it from my state Board 32), there is a test that new officials take, and there is a "refresher" test. The test that I take always seems to include a question that is specific to a rule in New Hampshire that requires the use of mouthguards by all high school players.

Rick
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
the tests you take varys by state. The Nfhs puts out two exams for each sport. Here in Ill. we use the part 1 test for licensing, thsi is an open book test which must be passed with an 80%, the part 2 test here is used for promtion purposes, and this exam is taken closed book. Sounds like your examp is made specially by your association or state.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question tests

I'm curious about what different states require, too. In Illinois we have to take part 1 every year. But I'm also licensed in Indiana. Indiana only requires taking part 1 once. What do they do where the rest of you live?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
I'm curious about what different states require, too. In Illinois we have to take part 1 every year. But I'm also licensed in Indiana. Indiana only requires taking part 1 once. What do they do where the rest of you live?
In Oregon, well Portland at least, we use part I as a practice exam. Part II is taken closed book for certification.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: All these tests

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
I am curious about some of the tests mentioned on this board. What is Part I versus Part II? Are there other tests? Are they used for different things or are there multiple tests for the same thing?

In New Hampshire, I take a test each year (I don't exactly know its origin except that I get it from my state Board 32), there is a test that new officials take, and there is a "refresher" test. The test that I take always seems to include a question that is specific to a rule in New Hampshire that requires the use of mouthguards by all high school players.

Rick
It sounds like you are in an IAABO association. You have a board #, you have a refresher test, a 50 question test for new officials, and a 100 question test for full members.

All of your tests are created by IAABO. If you were in another state that is not affiliated with IAABO, such as Nevada, you wouldn't use their tests. You would likely see the two tests the NFHS puts out. That is what part 1 and part 2 means.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. It never occurred to me that we were not all associated with IAABO. Does that mean that some of you have "independent" organizations that operate at only the state or local level and that you do not belong to a national (or larger) organization?

Rick
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: tests

Quote:
In PA we take one closed book test to "certify" (75% passes). Once we are certified, we just send in our money each year to maintain that certification. As a result, the knowledge of many officials deteriorates over the years because nothing forces them to ever look at a rule book again. In my opinion, this is a bad practice. We are not associated with IAABO in PA to my knowledge.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Thanks for the replies. It never occurred to me that we were not all associated with IAABO. Does that mean that some of you have "independent" organizations that operate at only the state or local level and that you do not belong to a national (or larger) organization?

Rick
Actually, Rick, very few officials are associated with IAABO. I'd say that the majority of officials in the country may not have even heard of IAABO. IAABO is an independant officials' association that has no standing whatsovever except in a few northeastern states. All states have their own association in place that they use to run and oversee the basketball programs in their state. By mutual agreement, these associations all use a common set of rules- those issued by the NFHS. Those NFHS rules may then be interpreted by each individual association, but final interpretation should always lie with the NFHS. As I said, a few states have chosen IAABO bodies to be their governing state association. That means that those IAABO bodies can then interpret NFHS rules in that particular state only. However those IAABO bodies cannot issue their own rules and are not supposed to vary from the master NFHS rules without NFHS permission. IAABO has no power anywhere, and never has, that I know of, to either make or change rules.

Bottom line is that all state associations belong to the NFHS. A few state associations are run by IAABO chapters, but they also must belong to the NFHS and follow NFHS rules and rulings.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bottom line is that all state associations belong to the NFHS. A few state associations are run by IAABO chapters, but they also must belong to the NFHS and follow NFHS rules and rulings.

Are you certain this is true for basketball? I know for fact that it is not true for football and baseball. There are states that choose not to use NFHS rules in both of those sports.

Also, there are some states that alter FED rules, bringing about the consequence, I believe, of not being allowed to have a repesentative on the national rules committee for those sports.

One example is the state of Washington. We have a shot clock and its accompanying rules in girls games. There is no provision for this in NFHS.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Are you certain this is true for basketball? I know for fact that it is not true for football and baseball. There are states that choose not to use NFHS rules in both of those sports.

Also, there are some states that alter FED rules, bringing about the consequence, I believe, of not being allowed to have a repesentative on the national rules committee for those sports.

One example is the state of Washington. We have a shot clock and its accompanying rules in girls games. There is no provision for this in NFHS.
According to the NFHS web site, the FED lists member associations and have a presence in all 50 states. I don't know of any state that doesn't use NFHS rules as a basis for their high school basketball competition, including Washington. It's my understanding too that some state governing associations will alter FED rules slightly, but they all still use FED as their basic ruleset - rather than NCAA rules or something else. As for modification of the rules, the FED policy is spelled out in the preamble at the front of the rule book- "Member associations of the NFHS independantly make decisions regarding compliance with or modifications of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states". That's why you can end up with a shot clock, or in Chuck Elias' state- mandatory mouthguards.

As I said, it is my understanding that in some states an IAABO board may take the place of the usual governing group in basketball, such as replacing the WOA in your case, but that IAABO group still has to follow state direction and NFHS rules. If anyone knows of a state that is different in basketball, they can let us know. I don't know of any offhand, but I've been wrong before too.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 03:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
IAABO is an independant officials' association
.....and IAABO stands for "I Am A Blind Official".

BTW - if a small quiz is a quizzical, what's a small test?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
IAABO is an independant officials' association
.....and IAABO stands for "I Am A Blind Official".

BTW - if a small quiz is a quizzical, what's a small test?
According to the papers Jason Giambi has a set now.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
According to the papers Jason Giambi has a set now. [/B][/QUOTE]Hmmmm. Just about time to start the usual 11 month annual baseball post, isn't it?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: tests

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:
In PA we take one closed book test to "certify" (75% passes). Once we are certified, we just send in our money each year to maintain that certification. As a result, the knowledge of many officials deteriorates over the years because nothing forces them to ever look at a rule book again. In my opinion, this is a bad practice. We are not associated with IAABO in PA to my knowledge.
There are IAABO Boards in PA but they are mostly college boards. The PIAA certifies the high school officials. I also agree that it is not very efficiently run only requiring the initial test. Because you and I both know taht there are people out there who never look at the book once they get that PIAA patch.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 05:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
[/B]
There are IAABO Boards in PA but they are mostly college boards.

[/B][/QUOTE]You sure? I was under the impression that IAABO was almost exclusively centered on high school rules. My understanding was that they might provide info about NCAA rules, but they don't really have anything else to do with the NCAA. Anybody else know anything about an NCAA/IAABO affiliation?