Thread: All these test
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Bottom line is that all state associations belong to the NFHS. A few state associations are run by IAABO chapters, but they also must belong to the NFHS and follow NFHS rules and rulings.

Are you certain this is true for basketball? I know for fact that it is not true for football and baseball. There are states that choose not to use NFHS rules in both of those sports.

Also, there are some states that alter FED rules, bringing about the consequence, I believe, of not being allowed to have a repesentative on the national rules committee for those sports.

One example is the state of Washington. We have a shot clock and its accompanying rules in girls games. There is no provision for this in NFHS.
According to the NFHS web site, the FED lists member associations and have a presence in all 50 states. I don't know of any state that doesn't use NFHS rules as a basis for their high school basketball competition, including Washington. It's my understanding too that some state governing associations will alter FED rules slightly, but they all still use FED as their basic ruleset - rather than NCAA rules or something else. As for modification of the rules, the FED policy is spelled out in the preamble at the front of the rule book- "Member associations of the NFHS independantly make decisions regarding compliance with or modifications of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states". That's why you can end up with a shot clock, or in Chuck Elias' state- mandatory mouthguards.

As I said, it is my understanding that in some states an IAABO board may take the place of the usual governing group in basketball, such as replacing the WOA in your case, but that IAABO group still has to follow state direction and NFHS rules. If anyone knows of a state that is different in basketball, they can let us know. I don't know of any offhand, but I've been wrong before too.