Thread: All these test
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Thanks for the replies. It never occurred to me that we were not all associated with IAABO. Does that mean that some of you have "independent" organizations that operate at only the state or local level and that you do not belong to a national (or larger) organization?

Rick
Actually, Rick, very few officials are associated with IAABO. I'd say that the majority of officials in the country may not have even heard of IAABO. IAABO is an independant officials' association that has no standing whatsovever except in a few northeastern states. All states have their own association in place that they use to run and oversee the basketball programs in their state. By mutual agreement, these associations all use a common set of rules- those issued by the NFHS. Those NFHS rules may then be interpreted by each individual association, but final interpretation should always lie with the NFHS. As I said, a few states have chosen IAABO bodies to be their governing state association. That means that those IAABO bodies can then interpret NFHS rules in that particular state only. However those IAABO bodies cannot issue their own rules and are not supposed to vary from the master NFHS rules without NFHS permission. IAABO has no power anywhere, and never has, that I know of, to either make or change rules.

Bottom line is that all state associations belong to the NFHS. A few state associations are run by IAABO chapters, but they also must belong to the NFHS and follow NFHS rules and rulings.