The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 08:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Unhappy

What's your most embarrasing moment officiating? Mine had to come last night, second qrt about 4 minutes left. My partner calls a foul and I'm giving the shots. I give the ball to the shooter and go to my spot. I start to wipe some of the sweat off my face and I look at my hand and see that my nose is bleeding somehow. Had to leave the game, go into the officials locker room and get cleaned up. Got that taken care of and went back onto the floor with about 1:30 remaining in the half. Lucky, I didn't get any on my shirt or pants. Either way it wasn't good, but I was able to finish the game without any more problems.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

My most embarrassing moment happened last night (although it wasn't too embarrassing it was quite funny). During a girls JV contest a girl shot the ball and the ball game to rest on the metal flat part behind (and connected to) the rim. I didn't get stuck there... I just came to rest there. We called the jump ball and I thought i had enough vertical height to tap the ball... But as the old saying goes, "White men can't jump" haha. We ended up getting another ball and hitting it with that. Oh well :-)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 09:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

In order to be embarrassed, you have to care what other people think about you.

Juulie can probably explain why I've never been embarrassed.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I did something awhile back during an 8th or 9th grade girls game. We were getting ready to shoot two free throws, my mind was thinking about something that happened during the play and instead of saying "2 shots" I said "2 Balls" really loud . All the girls got a really good giggle out of that one. Now the only thing that comes out of my mouth is the number of free throws!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

cford, that sounds hilarious!

For me, probably the time (my first year) I drove 50 miles to a game and discovered when I got there I had left my bag in my other car (I had switched cars because my gas was low). No time to go back. Luckily for me my partner had 2 of everything with him and it all fit! school of hard knocks but never did that again.......
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

about 2 years ago, trying to run and look over my shoulder in transition, felt my heels click together and thought uht-o, next thing I knew my feet were over my head and I had floor burn. It's not my favorite referee story to tell.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't yet done anything that embarassing while officiating a basketball game, but I do have a story from a football game I did.

The equivilant of a varsity game, I'm the Head Linesman. Ball scrimmaged from about Team B's 7 yard line. I see a fake hand off to a guy moving down the centre of the field, so I move in from the sidelines to cover this guy crossing the goal line. As soon as he crosses it but before I blow my whistle I notice that he doesn't have the ball. At this time I decide to take a look around to figure out where the ball is. I look to my left and see the player with the ball and the defender on him coming right towards me. I guess I was like a dear in the headlights, and I didn't move until they knocked me down. On the bright side, I covered the play and signalled a touchdown while flat on my a$$. Our AGM is this Friday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some sort of gag award for that one.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:29pm
Administrator

My most embarrassing momement came in a soccer game I was about to officiate. It happened during my first year of officiating H.S. soccer.

The game was being played in the last week of the regular season (middle of October, but the weather at game time was at freezing already and there were snowflakes in the air. It was a boys' game and I did not know that the home team had a girl on the team. Everybody was wearing cold weather clothes and stocking caps.

I was doing my pregame inspection of cleats and the such, when I made the statement that I hoped that everybody was wearing fur lined cups. At that point a female voice in the middle of the line up said: "I don't know about the rest of the team but mine are fur lined." She said this while cupping her chest. At that point everybody started laughing.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

no whistle

my first year...toward the end of the season at a larger school with LOTS of spectators in attendence...good close game that was fast paced and close throughout the game...final minutes and these kids were running me ragged, cotton mouth and sweating profusely...ball goes OOB, table side,inbound ball and we have a reach right in front of home team bench...up goes the fist and I blow hard with no whistle in my mouth...everyone hears the blow,coach yells for the foul...by the time I can find my whistle they had shot the ball, the home team gets the rebound and is coming the other way...coach yells no foul..no foul...I let it go and we go on...afterwards both coachs come up and we have a good laugh...
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

BLOCK!!!

I'm sure this something that someone else has done, but it's still my most embarrassing moment. JV game last year, at my alma mater no less (and of course I'm only 21 now), breakaway and a kid from my old high school attempts to take a charge, but clearly didn't get there in time. I come out strong since it's bang-bang and go "BLOCK, BLOCK!!"....with my hand behind my head for player-control!! I look at my partner who starts laughing so hard I almost lost it....as were both coaches when I went to the table....except they weren't laughing, they just both lost it.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I was doing my pregame inspection of cleats and the such, when I made the statement that I hoped that everybody was wearing fur lined cups. At that point a female voice in the middle of the line up said: "I don't know about the rest of the team but mine are fur lined." She said this while cupping her chest. At that point everybody started laughing.

MTD, Sr.
That's priceless! Thanks for cracking me up!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: no whistle

Quote:
Originally posted by cloverdale
..up goes the fist and I blow hard with no whistle in my mouth...everyone hears the blow,coach yells for the foul...by the time I can find my whistle they had shot the ball, the home team gets the rebound and is coming the other way....
I had a dream like that once...
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My most embarrassing moment was in my last game at a camp I attended a couple or three years ago. I was in way over my head, and both my body and my mind were exhausted. It was late in the day and I'd had two or three games before this. Ball went out over my line. I blew the whistle, pointed the direction and yelled, "RED!!!" Trouble was, the teams were BLUE and WHITE.

Okay, that wasn't the worst most embarrassing moment, but I refuse to tell the others in public.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I was doing a girl's 8th grade game a long time ago, and we were about to start the 2nd quarter with blue ball. I go to administer the throw in and point to the spot and said, "Blue ball here." Sitting at the division line were two teenage boys, with a couple of moms a row or two behind them.

The moms lost it, they were laughing so hard, and these two kids were sitting there clueless.

I felt so bad for them that at half time I explained it to them. They actually left the gym during the the break.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

I had a small school double header one night girls followed by the boys.

First trip to the free throw line in the boys game and I said, "Two shots ladies, hold your spots."