Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
This one is not mine but a partner's.

Go out for captain's meeting girls varsity and my partner is the R.

He forgot to do a fly-check. I notice and try to get eye contact and then start rolling my eyes down and nodding my head toward his crotch, he did not pick up on it and conducted the meeting.

After the captains left he asked, "What was that all about?" I said, "Check your barn door big fella."

Uniform inspection became a major part of pregame after that night.
Ummmm yeah, actually I've had this happen to one of my partners. Basically went the same way, I was trying to tell him with my eyes and he thought he left something out of his pre-game. So when he was finished talking he pointed to me and said "Tanner, you got anything to add?" (with kind of a puzzled look on his face). And I said no, good luck ladies! Once the girls departed back to their warm ups he came to me and said what the hell was that all about. "You might want to close the barn door." We got a good laugh out of it at half time.
I watched a game where one of the (male) refs had a zipper break. The really bad part was that one corner of the bottom of his shirt had worked its way around, and was sticking about two inches straight out from the... uh... zipper area. I still can't figure out why he didn't notice out of the corner of his eye. He left it like that about 3 minutes.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile That sounds about right...

Three minutes is about the right time for it to disappear after making an appearance. My humble opinion!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Had one of the varisty guys tell me this last night. They often send the new varsity guys to the more rural schools to get some experience and get evaluated. The evaluator was famous for showing up wearing his farmer clothes and sitting in with the students. You'd never know he was there unless you were looking for him.

This official grants a time out request, and the player tosses the ball to him. He, in turn, tosses it behind him and trots off to report. When he comes back, the ball is gone. He's looking all around, shooting help me glances to his partner, and generally starting to panic. Then he sees the evaluator in the stands. With the ball.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
This one is not mine but a partner's.

Go out for captain's meeting girls varsity and my partner is the R.

He forgot to do a fly-check. I notice and try to get eye contact and then start rolling my eyes down and nodding my head toward his crotch, he did not pick up on it and conducted the meeting.

After the captains left he asked, "What was that all about?" I said, "Check your barn door big fella."

Uniform inspection became a major part of pregame after that night.
Ummmm yeah, actually I've had this happen to one of my partners. Basically went the same way, I was trying to tell him with my eyes and he thought he left something out of his pre-game. So when he was finished talking he pointed to me and said "Tanner, you got anything to add?" (with kind of a puzzled look on his face). And I said no, good luck ladies! Once the girls departed back to their warm ups he came to me and said what the hell was that all about. "You might want to close the barn door." We got a good laugh out of it at half time.
I watched a game where one of the (male) refs had a zipper break. The really bad part was that one corner of the bottom of his shirt had worked its way around, and was sticking about two inches straight out from the... uh... zipper area. I still can't figure out why he didn't notice out of the corner of his eye. He left it like that about 3 minutes.
Maybe he's used to something more....errrr....substantial making an appearance through that particular portal.

Or maybe he's not & kinda enjoyed living life as "Mr Big" for those few moments.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

nothing worse than when you're looking at the table to report a foul and a player innocently bounce passes you the ball. You never see it coming or if you do you're thinking it'll surely hit you in the leg or stomach, but no...it hits you right in the twins, squarely, it hurts and you gotta play it off in front of a full gym.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Red face Break...

Mine was last year.

Second to last game of the summer season (recreational league). Right after tipoff, I'm trail. There's a quick change of possession about 10 feet from me, so I begin to backpeddle (I know, I know).

I feel my heel hit a player's foot....and I knew that was all she wrote. I feel backwards, caught myself...but broke my wrist doing so! The next week I had a big cast on my arm!

Aye yi yi....oh well, the parents got a kick out of it. Of course, by the way, it was my right and....and I'm right handed.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 09:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
you're thinking it'll surely hit you in the leg or stomach, but no...it hits you right in the twins,
Juulie - did this ever happen to you?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Mine was my first game last year. I was wearing my black jacket (a windbreaker with the state symbol and my name on it) while the teams were warming up. I had been to the bathroom just before going out on the court. At one minute left on the clock, my partner and I took off our jackets. I had zipped up the tie string in my pants. Had to unzip and pull out the string in front of everyone. Looked at my partner and said, "Oh well, the season has to get better from here." The fans had fun with that one.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
you're thinking it'll surely hit you in the leg or stomach, but no...it hits you right in the twins,
Juulie - did this ever happen to you?
I'm new to this forum and it's been a few times I see Mark Padgett talk about this Juulie... Can someone tell me who the heck is she??
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wise Weasel
I'm new to this forum and it's been a few times I see Mark Padgett talk about this Juulie... Can someone tell me who the heck is she??
Weasel, you're new here so I won't punish you for setting me up for this particular fall. But please, don't do it to me again!

Juulie is the rainmaker. Been reffing in Portland Oregon about 6 years, just breaking into varsity. I've worked rec leagues with Padgett, am in an assocaition with Camron Rust, Tim Taylor, icallfouls, and probably a couple of others that post here occasionally. I've been evalled at camp by rockyroad. And I seem to get a fair number of hits here from Chuck, Dan and Woody, although I put up with it, cuz I get in the odd slap back every now and again.

Now, how's about you return the favor, and tell us a little about yoruself?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a recent picture.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Here's a recent picture.

I can tell you for sure, that didn't come out of a video about me! Rocky is feeding you guys a very large truckload of stink!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Here's a recent picture.

I can tell you for sure, that didn't come out of a video about me! Rocky is feeding you guys a very large truckload of stink!
Rocky??!

Nah.

I paypal'ed "the other Mark" $5 for this picture of you.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

My worst moment was a few years ago,
We were working two whistle, I was the lead as we transitioned on a rebound.
I took off hard as I could go to beat a very good fast break.
As I got to the end of the court, the offensive team shot the ball into the corner far side of the court.
I was making a button hook over to get closer to the play and stepped on a piece of candy that had been thrown on the floor by some little kids.
I have seen the video of the game and you can actually hear my head hit the floor after my feet slid out from under me and I flipped.
Slid into the end wall and craked a bone in my ankle.

I was ok with all of this until I woke up on a stretcher on the way out.

Whenever I visit people in that area, I regularly hear, "Hey, aren't you that ref that........"
Yup, its still funny now.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Wise Weasel
Weasel, you're new here so I won't punish you for setting me up for this particular fall. But please, don't do it to me again!

[...]

Now, how's about you return the favor, and tell us a little about yoruself?
Yeah, who the heck am I, right?

Well, first of all, I won't do it again. Promised!

I officiate in Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada and surroundings. It's my first season as a basketball official (and I really enjoy it!) but I've been scorekeeper for 2 years during High School (I'm in my first year of College). I've also been a soccer referee during the summer for 5 years now (and growing!). Well, that's all for my officiating history!

I won't make you get mad again, Juulie!