The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see this game last night and notice the numerous (I can remember 3) pass/crash (charge) plays in transition. All of these plays were no called (all 3 that I remember were charges that Indiana tried to take)and the end result was a lay-up because the defender was on the floor. From my view (which obviously was not on the floor but rather my couch!) I thought that these were all pretty easy charge calls. Just wondering what others on the board thought if they saw these plays.

Later, the Lead (in a half court set, not transition) called a PC foul against Indiana from across the paint which in my opinion was the right call, it just seemed inconsistant with what they had no called on similar plays for the other team.

Before anyone jumps up and thinks this is a Hoosier fanboy post let me address that. I am far from being an Indiana fan and the crew that worked this game is a great crew. I just couldn't understand why they were passing. Anyone have the same perception?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I watched all of the game and it seemed to me that they were letting a lot of things go and "letting them play"

Consistently called and yes, they are a great crew!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seioaump
I watched all of the game and it seemed to me that they were letting a lot of things go and "letting them play"

Consistently called and yes, they are a great crew!
I too saw the contest and must question the crew's "greatness" at least for this game. Consistently called game? Totally disagree. They passed on many charge calls against NC, blew two 5 second counts in the FC (that my DVR clearly showed only 4 seconds had elapsed), and muffed a couple of good blocked shots that were called fouls all while "letting them play"? Which is it going to be, let them play or call a tight game? It was anything but consistent!

[Edited by Robmoz on Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:26 AM]
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

This is exactly what I am talking about when I say there is a different philosophy at the college level than the high school level. A lot of college assignors don't seem to want a charge called unless an internal organ is dislodged or unless the defender is decapitated.

Z
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
A lot of college assignors don't seem to want a charge called unless an internal organ is dislodged or unless the defender is decapitated.

Z
Care to name a few?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Edited.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:54am
Administrator

I am suprised no one has mentioned who the officials were for the game. I did not see that game but all three officials have officiated in at least one NCAA title game.

The officials for the game were: Donnie Gray (R), Jim Burr (U1), and Tim Higgins (U2).
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I knew who they were and what their resumes are. That speaks for itself.

I didn't want the conversation to focus on who called the game rather what the rationale was for passing on what I perceived to be obvious charge calls. Also the inconsistancy that I saw between those passes and the PC foul called shortly thereafter at the other end (again, I think it was the right call if taken alone, however in the context of the "passes" I find myself scratching my head). My commnet about the great crew was to acknowledge that the people working the game have reached the top, and I obviously can learn something from how they call a game. I am certaninly not in a position to judge their performance, but I am in a position to question my perception of how they called it. Maybe, I can take something away from studying their work.

If there are college assignors out there, that want charges passed on I have not come across them where I work or the camps that I have attended.

BTW... The crew (specifically D. Gray) did an excellent job of preventive officiating when McCants of NC thought about going postal after the foul on his dunk attempt. That was a foul and a good basketball play by the IU defender. It was a hard foul not because of maliciousness (sp?) but because of the speed and momentum involved in the play. The officials stayed right with them and very quickly steered McCants away before he decided to blow up.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:22pm
M.A.S.H.

I thought they called the game pretty well considering it's the sloppiest game I've seen all year! And I would agree, they allowed them to play a lot. But overall, called well.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
I ...what the rationale was for passing on what I perceived to be obvious charge calls. Also the inconsistancy that I saw between those passes and the PC foul called shortly thereafter at the other end (again, I think it was the right call if taken alone, however in the context of the "passes" I find myself scratching my head)...

I had the game on but was not watching closely, I had other stuff I needed to do. So I can't speak directly to the sequence. And of course these guys don't need me to defend them. Having said that there are times when for whatever reason you pass on something, and for consistency you'll pass on it the other way, then you reset and get back into calling the game as might be expected.
Quote:

BTW... The crew (specifically D. Gray) did an excellent job of preventive officiating when McCants of NC thought about going postal after the foul on his dunk attempt. That was a foul and a good basketball play by the IU defender. It was a hard foul not because of maliciousness (sp?) but because of the speed and momentum involved in the play. The officials stayed right with them and very quickly steered McCants away before he decided to blow up.
Yep, we can all learn from watching these guys.