The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Angry scheduling.....

blewthat....

I thought you may be here in southern Wisconsin. Our conference commissioners, in the area, generally schedule out two years in advance as well.

It is hard to keep young talented officials in the fold because it is difficult for them to get the varsity games when they are/or feel that they are qualified. It hurts you also if yoou don't work with a regular partner. Many of our talented young officials lose interest and motivation when they have "paid their dues"...put in the time....and still find it difficult to break into the HS "bigs".

I believe that there is a certain amount of "politics" involved here as well....making the situation that more challenging.

I have advocated to the WIAA to consider allowing three-person crews with the understanding that a veteran two-person crew take on a young/new official to bring them in to the varsity level. My partners and I currently make a point of working some lower level games with new/young officials as a "mentor" type situation and then encourage these people to hook up with each other when they get comfortable. This way our "rooks" can get seen working with a veteran official while the vets get an opportunity to "give back" to the avocation and promote the new officials to the "political" assigning system of impressing ADs...Coaches....and Conference assignors.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin is slow to "make progressive changes" in it's HS policies. They tend to follow....rather than lead and generally are near the back of the pack! We still work 2-person....and I presume us "old farts" will eventually hang our whistle up so the new/younger one get their chance. It's hard to know when it's that time.....it's not in our nature....but veteran officials need to recognize when that time is....especially when the activity isn't FUN anymore and you're just doing it for the money and ego.

Good luck "blewthat"....I remember when I started over 30 years ago....I had to put my time in and play the political games.....but if you keep your head screwed on right and work hard....YOU WILL SUCCEED.....sooner than later!

You might want to get on the list of your various assignors as a sub. I know officials get sick/injured....or leave areas....and assignors scramble to find replacememnts. Contact area athletic directors to see if you can get yourself hired for non-conference varsity games and tournaments. Joining a local officiating organization can help expand your network among the members and some conferences and ADs use the local officiating organizations to get their officials from! Hope this helps!

"Make sure the ball is round....and it goes in the hoop." Game goes smoother that way!

wl
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Test

Jur. Ref
i don't know which test we took. i studied the study guide questions and actually knew most of them.. i guessed on about 5 questions and apparently guessed right.