The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey, DeNucci... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16702-hey-denucci.html)

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:02am

PENGUINS?!?!? Your team's nickname was the Penguins?!? Sheez, I thought the Camas Papermakers had it bad...

zebraman Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
PENGUINS?!?!? Your team's nickname was the Penguins?!? Sheez, I thought the Camas Papermakers had it bad...
Look on the bright side. MTD and his penguin friends had days of fun sliding on their bellies on the ice into the frigid waters of the bay. Then they all went out for raw herring afterwards.

Z

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2004 05:19am

I'm thinking that you must be talking about Youngstown State.

Yes, they are the Penguins. Way back in 1992 (or was it 1991) they came out to play Nevada-Reno in the 1-AA football playoffs. Nevada was undefeated and ranked #1, but fell way behind, then mounted a tremendous comeback which ended when the darn kicker missed a 28-yard field goal on the final play of the game. Youngstown won 30-28 and went on to win their first 1-AA national championship.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:43am

Go Penguins!

http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Animation...guinsdance.gif

Ugly cheerleaders though.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 1st, 2004 at 07:46 AM]

dblref Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:48am

Quote:

You had to know that MTD would go to a school that had a black & white mascot -- why else would he wear the black & white stripes?

If my fading memory serves me right, Phil Simms is also an alumni [or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

ChuckElias Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
[or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

Yes, it should!! Good catch ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

You had to know that MTD would go to a school that had a black & white mascot -- why else would he wear the black & white stripes?

If my fading memory serves me right, Phil Simms is also an alumni [or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

Not Phil Simms, you are thinking of the Ron "Jaws" Jawarski.

And for all of you Maiza and Blue fans, it was Jim Tressel that guided YSU to those four national championships before he headed to The Ohio State University which also has TBDBITL.

It should also be noted that the late Dwight "Dike" Beede, YSU's first football coach was the inventor of the penalty flag and his wife made the first set ever used in a football game.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 1st, 2004 at 01:01 PM]

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
...The Ohio State University which also has TBDBITHL.
TBDBITHL?!?! That's even worse than the Penguins! How did the cheerleaders handle TBDBITHL?!?

Rick Durkee Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:57am

Why doesn't a school called the Penguins have a hockey team?

Rick

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:59pm

Quote:

Quote:

...The Ohio State University which also has TBDBITHL.
TBDBITHL?!?! That's even worse than the Penguins! How did the cheerleaders handle TBDBITHL?!?

TBDBITL = The Best Damn Band in the Land

rockyroad Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:04pm

If we're talking bad mascot names here, how'd you like to go to Davenport High School in Davenport, WA...they are the Gorillas. And Klamath-Union HS in Klamath Falls, OR is the Pelicans...I think I'd rather be a Penguin than either of those two!

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 1st, 2004 at 07:46 AM]

They may be ugly but they're all wearing tuxedos.

For strange names, how about the Cobden (IL) Appleknockers or the Tillamook (OR) Cheesemakers?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:32pm

For the love of Bob, but what was the name of the Michigan high school that ESPN used in some of its promos earlier this year. It had a real weird nickname too.

Also try out the Dexter (Mich.) H.S. Dreadnaughts for both its boys' and girls' teams.

MTD, Sr.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:41pm

Quote:

For the love of Bob, but what was the name of the Michigan high school that ESPN used in some of its promos earlier this year. It had a real weird nickname too.

Also try out the Dexter (Mich.) H.S. Dreadnaughts for both its boys' and girls' teams.

MTD, Sr.

Nimrods.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

They may be ugly but they're all wearing tuxedos.

Did you know that Rocky and Chuck made the cheerleading squad at their ol' alma mater? Here they are in action:
http://pdphoto.org/jons/pictures4/di..._bg_112903.jpg