The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey, DeNucci... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16702-hey-denucci.html)

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:02am

PENGUINS?!?!? Your team's nickname was the Penguins?!? Sheez, I thought the Camas Papermakers had it bad...

zebraman Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
PENGUINS?!?!? Your team's nickname was the Penguins?!? Sheez, I thought the Camas Papermakers had it bad...
Look on the bright side. MTD and his penguin friends had days of fun sliding on their bellies on the ice into the frigid waters of the bay. Then they all went out for raw herring afterwards.

Z

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2004 05:19am

I'm thinking that you must be talking about Youngstown State.

Yes, they are the Penguins. Way back in 1992 (or was it 1991) they came out to play Nevada-Reno in the 1-AA football playoffs. Nevada was undefeated and ranked #1, but fell way behind, then mounted a tremendous comeback which ended when the darn kicker missed a 28-yard field goal on the final play of the game. Youngstown won 30-28 and went on to win their first 1-AA national championship.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:43am

Go Penguins!

http://www.sodamnfunny.com/Animation...guinsdance.gif

Ugly cheerleaders though.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 1st, 2004 at 07:46 AM]

dblref Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:48am

Quote:

You had to know that MTD would go to a school that had a black & white mascot -- why else would he wear the black & white stripes?

If my fading memory serves me right, Phil Simms is also an alumni [or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

ChuckElias Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
[or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

Yes, it should!! Good catch ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:04am

Quote:

Quote:

You had to know that MTD would go to a school that had a black & white mascot -- why else would he wear the black & white stripes?

If my fading memory serves me right, Phil Simms is also an alumni [or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

Not Phil Simms, you are thinking of the Ron "Jaws" Jawarski.

And for all of you Maiza and Blue fans, it was Jim Tressel that guided YSU to those four national championships before he headed to The Ohio State University which also has TBDBITL.

It should also be noted that the late Dwight "Dike" Beede, YSU's first football coach was the inventor of the penalty flag and his wife made the first set ever used in a football game.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 1st, 2004 at 01:01 PM]

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
...The Ohio State University which also has TBDBITHL.
TBDBITHL?!?! That's even worse than the Penguins! How did the cheerleaders handle TBDBITHL?!?

Rick Durkee Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:57am

Why doesn't a school called the Penguins have a hockey team?

Rick

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:59pm

Quote:

Quote:

...The Ohio State University which also has TBDBITHL.
TBDBITHL?!?! That's even worse than the Penguins! How did the cheerleaders handle TBDBITHL?!?

TBDBITL = The Best Damn Band in the Land

rockyroad Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:04pm

If we're talking bad mascot names here, how'd you like to go to Davenport High School in Davenport, WA...they are the Gorillas. And Klamath-Union HS in Klamath Falls, OR is the Pelicans...I think I'd rather be a Penguin than either of those two!

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 1st, 2004 at 07:46 AM]

They may be ugly but they're all wearing tuxedos.

For strange names, how about the Cobden (IL) Appleknockers or the Tillamook (OR) Cheesemakers?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:32pm

For the love of Bob, but what was the name of the Michigan high school that ESPN used in some of its promos earlier this year. It had a real weird nickname too.

Also try out the Dexter (Mich.) H.S. Dreadnaughts for both its boys' and girls' teams.

MTD, Sr.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:41pm

Quote:

For the love of Bob, but what was the name of the Michigan high school that ESPN used in some of its promos earlier this year. It had a real weird nickname too.

Also try out the Dexter (Mich.) H.S. Dreadnaughts for both its boys' and girls' teams.

MTD, Sr.

Nimrods.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

They may be ugly but they're all wearing tuxedos.

Did you know that Rocky and Chuck made the cheerleading squad at their ol' alma mater? Here they are in action:
http://pdphoto.org/jons/pictures4/di..._bg_112903.jpg

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 02:48pm

Quote:

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Nimrods.

I remeber the Nimrods, but do you remember what the name of the school?

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 01, 2004 03:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Nimrods.

I remeber the Nimrods, but do you remember what the name of the school?

Watersmeet.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:23pm

Quote:

Hey, DeNucci... Juulie, don't you know that straw is cheaper.

MTD, Sr.

rainmaker Wed Dec 01, 2004 07:48pm

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, DeNucci... Juulie, don't you know that straw is cheaper.

MTD, Sr.

yea, grass is free.... DOn't you wish you were a cow...

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, we can return to our more typical scintillating, rapier wit and ponderous philosophical ruminations.

NOT!!

pbrad59 Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:46pm

How about Teutopolis (Il) "Wooden Shoes".

dblref Fri Dec 03, 2004 07:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

[or should that be alumnus(Chuck?)].

Yes, it should!! Good catch ;)

Thanks. And to think, I graduated from college in Mississippi -- guess I was paying attention some days.:D

BBall_Junkie Fri Dec 03, 2004 09:53am

I think the Wooden Shoes takes the cake. Prior to that I would have said that the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs was the worst followed closely by the UC Irvine Anteaters!

Those UC schools sure do have problems coming up with good mascot names!

rainmaker Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:35am

There's a high school here in Portland (OR) that is the Aardvarks.

ChuckElias Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:40am

My favorite is from Friends University of Kansas. Friends University is a non-denominational Christian school, but as you might guess, it was originally founded by the Society of Friends (Quakers). Although their sports teams are now called the Falcons, at one time they had the self-contradictory name "Fighting Quakers". Quakers, for those of you who don't know, are generally pacifists.

Any time you can combine sports, logic and religion, that's a winner. :)

rainmaker Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:54am

Quote:

My favorite is from Friends University of Kansas.
And just for a little more clarification, the official name of the school is NOT "Friends University OF Kansas". It is Friends University. It does happen to be in Kansas. Calling it F.U. is bad enough without adding a K on the end!

Dan_ref Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05pm

Quote:

Quote:

My favorite is from Friends University of Kansas.
And just for a little more clarification, the official name of the school is NOT "Friends University OF Kansas". It is Friends University. It does happen to be in Kansas. Calling it F.U. is bad enough without adding a K on the end!

Whoa.

The Fighting Quakers from F.U.K.

I bet someone in the music dept could build quite a school song around that theme.

rockyroad Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:48pm

LOL...we have a small NAIA school here in WA called The Evergreen State College...their mascot is the Geoduck...it's a really large clam. Always fun to do those games...

RecRefNC Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:10pm

Our college mascot was/is the Kangaroos. Kind of hard to get excited with that kind of mascot, although the cheerleaders DID try...

mick Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
...days of fun sliding on their bellies on the ice into the frigid waters of the bay. Then they all went out for raw herring afterwards.
Sounds an awful lot like Sauna night U.P. here.
mick

ChuckElias Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:22pm

Ealier this season, the Bishops of Ohio Wesleyan University defeated the Lords of Kenyon College in football. It can't be a good thing when a religion's bishops beat up on their Lord and Sovereign

Almost as funny as the Fighting Quakers were Elon University's Fighting Christians. (I don't think they use that name anymore.) Maybe they should have played the Bishops-Lords winner?

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 4th, 2004 at 09:25 PM]

ChuckElias Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RecRefNC
Our college mascot was/is the Kangaroos. Kind of hard to get excited with that kind of mascot, although the cheerleaders DID try...
So you had young, nubile, scantily-clad college women imitating kangaroos by bouncing up and down? And you're saying you couldn't get excited by this? :confused:

mick Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:41pm

Quote:

So you had...
Hmmm.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 04, 2004 09:48pm

My HS team was (and still is) the Trojans. A few years ago, I was watching a UCLA - USC basketball game on television. One of the UCLA students had a sign that said "Flush Used Trojans".

Back In The Saddle Sun Dec 05, 2004 04:58am

It's amazing how such unusual names survive. The Jordan High Beetdiggers try to change their name every once in a while, and the alumni won't let them. Kind of a "if we got stuck with it, you will too" mentality.

rainmaker Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The Jordan High Beetdiggers try to change their name every once in a while, ...
This has got to be the trophy winner!

JRutledge Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:52am

Quote:

If you think that fits Ohio State, you have never been to a Black College Football Game Halftime show. I am sure Florida A&M, Southern University or Grambling State might have some say over that. ;)

All Ohio State can do is dot the "I."

Peace

mick Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I am sure Florida A&M, Southern University or Grambling State might have some say over that. ;)

Oh, yeah!
Southern and Grambling do git to it! :)
mick

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 05, 2004 04:01pm

Quote:

Quote:

If you think that fits Ohio State, you have never been to a Black College Football Game Halftime show. I am sure Florida A&M, Southern University or Grambling State might have some say over that. ;)

Peace

The Ohio State University Marching Band has bill itself as The Best Damn Band in the Land for years, just at the University of Miami (Florida) Marching Band has been known as The Band of the Hour.

Not to change subjects but this question goes out to all of those Purdue grads, does Purdue still have its Golden Girl?

MTD, Sr.

rainmaker Sun Dec 05, 2004 05:05pm

Quote:

Quote:

Peace

I saw a special on TV last week about that. WOW!! Impressive. WHat really impressed me was that during half-time of the Grambling - Southern game the TV never showed a single shot of the band. Not even 1 second. Why in the world would anyone want to see yet more talking heads making more jokes about stupid football plays, when they could be viewing the best marching band in the country?

bob jenkins Sun Dec 05, 2004 05:22pm

Quote:

Not to change subjects but this question goes out to all of those Purdue grads, does Purdue still have its Golden Girl?

MTD, Sr.

Yes.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 05, 2004 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Yes.

The Purdue Golden Girl, another great college football tradition, but not quite as great as the Script Ohio.

MTD, Sr.

Dan_ref Sun Dec 05, 2004 08:13pm

Quote:

Quote:

So you had young, nubile, scantily-clad college women imitating kangaroos by bouncing up and down? And you're saying you couldn't get excited by this? :confused:

http://quira.net/archives/may03/drool.jpg

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 05, 2004 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My HS team was (and still is) the Trojans.
:D Me too. The North Park Trojans, from Brantford, Ontario.

mick Sun Dec 05, 2004 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee

The North Park Trojans, from Brantford, Ontario.

Nice town I hear.
Got snow down South?
mick

dblref Mon Dec 06, 2004 06:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
LOL...we have a small NAIA school here in WA called The Evergreen State College...their mascot is the Geoduck...it's a really large clam. Always fun to do those games...
I know this school well -- my older son graduated in 1997. The mascot looks like a slug. I think Geoduck is pronounced "Gooeyduck".

dblref Mon Dec 06, 2004 06:24am

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe the cheerleaders were all male. This might excite you, but not me.