The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Surprised no one had mentioned OOB - who touched it last calls. Many times you'll see the ball bound away from a couple of players OOB and the official makes a great "sell" to award the possession to one team or another as if it were crystal clear, without a doubt obviously this direction.
OOB is tough for me as well.

Fast breaks can be hard too. Real easy to get straightlined and miss a foul. Sometimes I can outrun the kids but thats not gonna be true forever!

Somebody mentioned middle school games being the most difficult. I couldn't agree more.. Or maybe I should say 'annoying.' Especially the 'B' teams -- it's like a whole new game. You watch your primary but there's nothing there. Cause all 10 players are converged upon the ball. You referee the defense but then you miss the travels and what not..
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

T on a coach
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: We all...

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
We all can use a little help sooner or later but if it becomes habit forming then either the one that's reaching is out of line or the person who needs help all the time needs to step up and make the call. As far as someone reaching into my area, I do not have an ego and hope that you are there when I need you and I will try to do the same. No more and no less.
Amen to that, DJ! The obligation of the whole officiating team is to get the calls right (as much as possible). Generally, the team performs better when each member takes care of her/his responsibilities, but none of us is perfect and, for whatever reason, if there is a correct call to be made and it is seen by an official, that official should make the call.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I want to officially opologize to Weasel and JR. When I re-read my initial post, I definately misquoted myself.

Blindzebra said it, Why not just say the most difficult thing IS NOT a call, but staying in your primary, very different from what you said and HOW you said it. Which was I was trying to say.
Thank You!

I was just frustrated and probably drank a lil' too much after the night I had.

My p's were calling 3 seconds while the shot was in the air, calling traveling from the T while ball was on the C side in the corner, etc... It just made us all look bad as a crew.

This is why I love this forum! It humbles you and people on here help to do that. I want to be the best official I can be, and learning that we all make mistakes, helps me to realize that is part of the growing process to achieving my goal.

One of things I wanted to concentrate on at the start of this season, was to stay in my own area. I may be looking for the same things from my P's a lil' too hard and got too caught up into my own self preservation.

Thanks to Weasel, Jurasic Ref, and all for being honest!

I am humbled!

Damn! Baseball is soo much easier!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

LOL!

It's OK thumpferee!

Humility is a great proof of intelligence.

Don't drink and post!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wise Weasel
LOL!
Don't drink and post!
Duh! LOL

Another lesson learned!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I've never thought of traveliong as a difficult call to make.

When the player receives the ball or ends his dribble, just make note of which foot is the pivot. That's all you need to know.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
T on a coach
I have this rare neurological disorder that causes my hands to form a "T" shape whenver a coach steps over the line. I can supress it for a while if he's only getting near the line. But if he goes over, it's like somebody pulled the trigger