The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Surprised no one had mentioned OOB - who touched it last calls. Many times you'll see the ball bound away from a couple of players OOB and the official makes a great "sell" to award the possession to one team or another as if it were crystal clear, without a doubt obviously this direction.

More often than not it may be the right call but many times it can be a pure guess. You don't see the official ask for help or go to the arrow on these tough calls very often.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
More often than not it may be the right call but many times it can be a pure guess. You don't see the official ask for help or go to the arrow on these tough calls very often.
I saw a WNBA game in which one of the officials was a frequent poster on this forum. He's not here much now-a-days. But he was lead and the ball went OOB on the endline on the other side of the lane. He whistled, looked to his Slot, who didn't know. He looked to his Trail, who didn't know. He immediately gave the thumbs-up. I know as a crew they didn't like not having that call; but once he looked for help, there's no way he could've then given a direction.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:18am
Huck Finn

The toughest call for me is the call where I have to have a really, really, really patient/late whistle. I often chuckle to myself when this happens because of what I here after the call.

I think the responses about the block/charge call indicate that we do a better job of watching the defense and seeing the whole player. That is great and there really isn't anyone to give us kudos for that.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

You guys should check this out. Its one of our collegues having a great time..

http://members.home.nl/yoerak/scheids.wmv

[Edited by Man in Grey on Dec 1st, 2004 at 10:36 AM]
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wise Weasel
I'd like to know what is the hardest foul or violation (or whatever) you think is the hardest call to make?

When I read the title to this thread I had my hardest call picked out and was ready to make my post. Then I opened the thread and saw your question, and I realized my call is not germane to the subject. BUT,

My hardest call is what to have for my post game dinner at my favorite Italian resturant.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Man in Grey

Chuck, when did you start working soccer?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:27am
Administrator

Quote:

Our friend resembles quite a few H.S. soccer officials from NW Ohio. Just please don't tell me this video was of an Italian pro league.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rebound with 4 players or more, all legs and arms, no way to tell even wich arm belongs to whom and team mates fouling each other rather then opponents. Often not enough room to move back, and really feeling unable to call anything unless someone is missing a limb while an opponent is holding it.
Then 2 players hit the floor, and the coaches are outraged. Of course one of the players is bloody and his coach gives you the evil I as he walks toward his player.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Angle..

It's all in the angle. The hardest call is the one where you don't have the angle. Even line calls are tough without the angle.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have found this year that the 2 hardest call to make (for me) are:

1) Whether or not to call a held ball or a holding foul when there are a number of held balls in a game.

2) Making an obvious call(i.e. carry) when the coach (and afns) are riding you unmercifully to call it. This one happened last night. The coach wasn't so bad but the fans were crazy about it. I was watching closely and when I finally had a good angle the player was clearly carrying. I called it because it was a violation but you could clearly tell that the fans now thought they could control me and the opposing coach was pretty upset because he now thinks I'm listening to the fans. This is hard for me.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked 4 games so far this year, and the hardest call I have had to make is a NO CALL in my p's area. GEEZ, what game are my p's watching?

STAY IN YOUR OWN AREA!
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Other than the dreaded travel call, I would have to say my hardest call is whether to buy that new golf club or the new power tool.

Doing a men's league this week....why do I punish myself like this?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I have worked 4 games so far this year, and the hardest call I have had to make is a NO CALL in my p's area. GEEZ, what game are my p's watching?

STAY IN YOUR OWN AREA!
Um, what game are you watching in your partner's area?
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Wow! I did not expect so many responses! General opinion seems to be the travel violation. As a new ref, I don't find it much difficult to call... at least not yet! I probably don't know the rule enough... However, I admit I sometimes anticipate the call and not the play, so I call too fast and realize a split second later that I am wrong... Fortunately, I am aquiring more experience for each and every minute I spend on the court.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
I will always remember of what I had been said when I started refereeing soccer: Whether you are right or not doesn't matter. That you look right and confident is important. If you do, you will always be right. (Of course, it's not an excuse for not knowing/studying the rules!)

That's probably why, where everyone is confused, you see an official make the call "as if it were crystal clear". But don't get me wrong! I'm not saying that it's better to take a guess if you don't know who touched the ball last!