The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ok...I dont think I did this correctly.....Looking for NF rule reference...

The situation:

In the 4th Qtr we're lined up for a free throw and I notice blood in multiple spots on a players shirt. I did NOT see him bleeding anywhere. So, I instructed him to go to the bench....they say they dont have another shirt or ability to clean it but they want to know if he can wear someone else's jersey to finish the game.

I said "ok by me, lets play ball.

So we went to the table....changed him from 11 to 30 in both books and kept on trucking....

3-3-6 sez: A player who is bleeding, has an open wound, has an excessive amount of blood on his/her uniform, or has blood on his/her person, shall be directed to leave the game. Unless a time-out is requested by his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the resumption of play.

My questions are:

1) The player was not bleeding so no corrective action was needed other than shirt change. By rule does what I did require a time out to keep him in?

2) looking for the book ref / wording for changing numbers in this type of situation.

3) In my case the blood looked dry but it was in about 5 or 6 small but noticeable spots. My guess is his nose was bleeding a little and it hit the shirt. I know this is judgement but would you direct a player to leave in this case or are you looking for a serious amount of blood and / or still wet looking?

Final Note: Holiday Tournament - Very Close Game - Significant Player

Larks - VIT

Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
3-3-6 sez: A player who is bleeding, has an open wound, has an excessive amount of blood on his/her uniform, or has blood on his/her person, shall be directed to leave the game. Unless a time-out is requested by his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the resumption of play.

My questions are:

1) The player was not bleeding so no corrective action was needed other than shirt change. By rule does what I did require a time out to keep him in?
If you required him to change his shirt, then you must've judged that he had an excessive amount of blood on it. I believe that you should've directed him to the bench at which time he would be allowed to change the shirt. If the coach wanted to keep him in the game, he could request a TO.

Quote:
2) looking for the book ref / wording for changing numbers in this type of situation.
There is a case play about this, but I don't have it handy.

Quote:
3) In my case the blood looked dry but it was in about 5 or 6 small but noticeable spots. My guess is his nose was bleeding a little and it hit the shirt. I know this is judgement but would you direct a player to leave in this case or are you looking for a serious amount of blood and / or still wet looking?
"Excessive" by rule means that it can be transferred to another player. If the blood is dry or minor, then no action is required. If you see the nose bleeding, that's a different story. Player must leave immediately.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 06:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Quote:
There is a case play about this, but I don't have it handy.

[/B]
Casebook play 3.3.6SitA for the shirt change. Rule 3-3-6 covers the TO part.

Your books up in the attic, Chuck?

Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys

Exactly what I was looking for.

Hey, I read recently that NF was going to post rule and case books online making them keyword searchable. Anyone here anything more on that?
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Hey, I read recently that NF was going to post rule and case books online making them keyword searchable. Anyone here anything more on that?
Yup, all you have to do is buy a membership for $30. The case book is already on line and the rule book is supposed to be shortly. I don't think that you are allowed to download them though- viewing only.

So.........

What you have to weigh is paying $30 to read them on-line versus $6.75/book to buy them and have a hard copy that you can keep in your bag, refer to at any time, etc. I think that you do get some insurance with an NFHS membership though. To me, the hard copy seems to make more sense just for the ease of convenience. You don't always have a computer handy when you need a rules reference- as in halftime, etc.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok...I dont think I did this correctly.....Looking for NF rule reference...

The situation:

they want to know if he can wear someone else's jersey to finish the game.

I said "ok by me, lets play ball.

So we went to the table....changed him from 11 to 30 in both books and kept on trucking....

Larks,
Others have already given you the correct rules cites for this play, but it wasn't specifically mentioned that what you allowed is only OK if #30 hasn't yet played. If he has already participated then you now have two team members identified by the same number in the scorebook, which isn't allowed.
Lastly, #30 must now find another legal, unused number if he is going to enter the game later.

Personally, I would NOT have deemed the few spots of blood on the shirt EXCESSIVE.
Your situation is exactly why I wrote what I did in another thread. See http://www.officialforum.com/thread/16624

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 30th, 2004 at 02:03 AM]
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Yup, all you have to do is buy a membership for $30. The case book is already on line and the rule book is supposed to be shortly. I don't think that you are allowed to download them though- viewing only.

So.........

What you have to weigh is paying $30 to read them on-line versus $6.75/book to buy them and have a hard copy that you can keep in your bag, refer to at any time, etc. I think that you do get some insurance with an NFHS membership though. To me, the hard copy seems to make more sense just for the ease of convenience. You don't always have a computer handy when you need a rules reference- as in halftime, etc.
Agree. But there are times when a searchable version would be really handy. There are always those little things you remember reading somewhere that you just can't find when you go back to look for them.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
[/B]
Agree. But there are times when a searchable version would be really handy. There are always those little things you remember reading somewhere that you just can't find when you go back to look for them.
[/B][/QUOTE]BITS, this forum is a searchable version of the rule book.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
BITS, this forum is a searchable version of the rule book.
I wish it were searchable BRAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD???????