View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul in Seattle
Folks,

I'm back on the floor again this year after three years away due to an injury. The injury, believe it or not, was to my vocal cords. I thought I was through, but after a couple of years of intense vocal therapy, I'm back to where I can teach and sing again...more or less totally healed. I was an evaluator for the last couple of years, but just hated not being on the floor, so I've decided to head back and find a way to referee without hurting my voice.

My instincts say that I don't really need to holler out there...if it's an empty gym, a normal voice will do, and if it's full, nobody will hear me anyway. But there are situations where I need to communicate and would have hollered in the past. I'm wondering if you have any specific advice for how to communicate with partner, coaches, or fans without shouting.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
You can communicate with great mechanics and eye contact and non-verbal communication (body language and postioning). I can't think of a time when I need to holler in a game. I verbalize the foul on the spot, but in a real loud gym, the only ones who can hear it are probably the players right by me.

Z