The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:04am
M.A.S.H.

Well it's early here, I am up and getting ready to go watch some basketball before I have to work tonight. So good luck to everyone working Post-Turkey Tourneys!!! Hopefully you didn't eat to much turkey and won't fall asleep on the court Save traveling to all!

T Jones
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

survived 16 games between fri/sat. 6th-8th grade and everything was pretty much smooth like butter. Ony a couple of highlights.

2nd game on fri, coach starts chirpin and I let him know if it's gotta be like this then it will be a very loooong game. Next trip down I told him that I retract my comments, if he keeps it up, it'll be a short game for him. he apologized and proceeded to get beat by 20.

last game on sat, i was lead in transition but i was up to help with press, coach is right next to me and asks; i bet you are really tired?? i said, sort of but not to bad, why? he says; because you've had to carry that guy (partner) for 2 days. i laughed so hard i almost cried.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 11:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
survived 16 games between fri/sat. 6th-8th grade and everything was pretty much smooth like butter. Ony a couple of highlights.

2nd game on fri, coach starts chirpin and I let him know if it's gotta be like this then it will be a very loooong game. Next trip down I told him that I retract my comments, if he keeps it up, it'll be a short game for him. he apologized and proceeded to get beat by 20.

last game on sat, i was lead in transition but i was up to help with press, coach is right next to me and asks; i bet you are really tired?? i said, sort of but not to bad, why? he says; because you've had to carry that guy (partner) for 2 days. i laughed so hard i almost cried.
Your first situation could be considered baiting and could get ugly. At the most, on a good day, I would ask the coach to knock it off (not in those words), ignore comments, answer legit questions and handle whatever needs to be handled.

Your second situation: laughing at the joke = selling your partner out. We have all had and will have bad days but it really isn't cute. Most of my bad days like these have came during non-camp games in the summer.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

it's not baiting if he has continued whining, it's called shutting him up.

as far as selling my partner out, read the post, it was our 16th game in 2 days, most of these teams are on their 5th or 6th game and have played in 3-4 gyms at multiple locations, everybody is tired, everybody is chippy. all the players, coaches and fans were a bit giddy. it was a funny comment, even to my partner, and i thought i'd share it. if you don't like it, sorry. i think if you're going to work one of these "cash cow" tournaments, then have a sense of humor and enjoy yourself.

JMO
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 02:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
it's not baiting if he has continued whining, it's called shutting him up.

as far as selling my partner out, read the post, it was our 16th game in 2 days, most of these teams are on their 5th or 6th game and have played in 3-4 gyms at multiple locations, everybody is tired, everybody is chippy. all the players, coaches and fans were a bit giddy. it was a funny comment, even to my partner, and i thought i'd share it. if you don't like it, sorry. i think if you're going to work one of these "cash cow" tournaments, then have a sense of humor and enjoy yourself.

JMO
If he continues to whine you can ignore it or give him a T. Many coaches will do this to you and once you make the comments like you did they have you. You opened up a whole new dialogue and some coaches will push this to the limit.

As far as selling your partner out. IMO we should only take the games that we can handle physically and mentally. Past that the game suffers. I like to work on my game whenever I can and this falls into the communication category. Given the right situation I will laugh with my partner or a coach but I will not laugh with a coach about my partner's abilities. You don't agree so do it your way.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Your second situation: laughing at the joke = selling your partner out. We have all had and will have bad days but it really isn't cute. Most of my bad days like these have came during non-camp games in the summer.

Tom whats happening partner? I agree with you 100%.

Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 03:21pm
M.A.S.H.

Yeah selling your partner isn't the way out of a long day of officiating. I hope you wouldn't allow the coach to bash any partner on any given night just because s/he's having an off night. I was always T any coach that is bashing my partner and I expect the same from my partner if s/he hears the same type of comments.