The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Question

had a situation in my regional girls jr. high game today, where the home team, wearing a "white" jersey with black trim and white shorts with black trim. but, one of the girls had on black shorts. the coach asked my partner and myself if that was ok. and we say, yes. because the rulebook only specifies the color of the jersey.

after the game i looked it up. and i can't find any rule referring to the color of the shorts/skirt matching the color of the jersey. is that correct?

thanks!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 05:20pm
M.A.S.H.

Good question

Good question! I looked and looked and couldn't find anything either. Be interesting to see what others say. BTW, how did your games go today? Mine went very very smooth here in Illinois.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I believe there are no rules about shorts, just about jerseys and t-shirts worn underneath.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

hey tjones1...

the first half of my 1st game of my 2 regional games was a rough go. both teams weren't in a rythem. and either was my partner and myself. we missed 2 of the backboard calls in the first half along with a 2 free throw lane violation by the shooting team, which should have been blown immediately. but after that half, we picked up our game and I believe we didn't miss a thing for the rest of that game or the 2nd game.

and yours, how did your game(s) go today?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 06:17pm
M.A.S.H.

John,

Well besides being early in the morning everything seemed to go very well (we started at 10am). Both games my partner and I communicated very well. The second game, the teams seemed to be holding and pushing a little more, so we had to get that and clean it up, therefore it took a little longer. But everything worked out and both teams played very hard and showed very good sportsmanship. So it was all good!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: hey tjones1...

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark
the first half of my 1st game of my 2 regional games was a rough go. both teams weren't in a rythem. and either was my partner and myself. we missed 2 of the backboard calls in the first half along with a 2 free throw lane violation by the shooting team, which should have been blown immediately. but after that half, we picked up our game and I believe we didn't miss a thing for the rest of that game or the 2nd game.

and yours, how did your game(s) go today?
What's a backboard call?

My two sense!
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Over the rectangular backboard...

sorry, the ball went over the top of the rectangular backboard.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: Over the rectangular backboard...

Quote:
sorry, the ball went over the top of the rectangular backboard.
Oh, thanks

My two sense!
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
had a situation in my regional girls jr. high game today, where the home team, wearing a "white" jersey with black trim and white shorts with black trim. but, one of the girls had on black shorts. the coach asked my partner and myself if that was ok. and we say, yes. because the rulebook only specifies the color of the jersey.

after the game i looked it up. and i can't find any rule referring to the color of the shorts/skirt matching the color of the jersey. is that correct?

thanks!
I had this discussion a couple of years back and concluded the same thing that you did--there is simply no rule about short color, whatever they wish to wear is OK.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm stunned that the ball could go over a rectangular backboard and the officials would miss it TWICE in the same game!
How could the players/coaches not say anything? Did it just barely pass over a corner?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

ball over backboard...

the call that was my call and i missed was just over the cover. the other one, was my partners and was straight over after hitting the rim. either coach complained about it. that was a shocker. maybe because in each case, the other team rebounded the ball. or they missed it too. the only reason, i missed my was my partner told me about it. and i did the same with his. like i said it was a bad half for us as officials and the players were bad too in the first half. game started at 9:30 a.m. and i think everyone was still in bed fast asleep!!!
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I had a "backboard call" cost a coach a T on Saturday...and I still have no idea why he got so mad so fast. Two minutes left in the first quarter, girls JV tourny semi-finals. There was a little jostling underneath...girls testing us on what we would let them do. Partner and I each warned them to clean it up and had called a few fouls for it. It seemed to be settling down. Neither coach had said a word to us.

A1 tries a 3-pointer that hits the rim and, from where I was, appeared to hit the top of the backboard and the support pole at the same time. I make the call. Naturally, the girls have ignored the whistle...B got the rebound and threw it down court for a break...while partner and I both blow our whistles to stop play.

Coach: "Why did you blow it dead?"

Me: "Ball is the basket support coach"

Coach: "I didn't see it."

Me: "I did, and I have the whistle"

Coach: "Why don't you lose the smart *** attitude and call an F'ing foul."

Me: "Tweet <<>>...theres one coach"

First one of the season...of course that was just my third game.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS

Coach: "Why don't you lose the smart *** attitude
If the coach had stopped there, I would've agreed with him. Lose the cutesy comments. They rarely make the situation better, as you've already discovered.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Coach: "Why don't you lose the smart *** attitude
If the coach had stopped there, I would've agreed with him. Lose the cutesy comments. They rarely make the situation better, as you've already discovered.
If he would have stopped there...things would have been fine. I had his team in an earlier round two nights before and we had a great interaction.

There were a couple of close OOB calls right in front of his bench that went against him...on the second one he said loud enough for only me to hear "I gotta start screening you on those, we need a couple of breaks"

Second half of the first game one of his girls tried to get an offensive board from behind the defender and the other player ended up in the wall (only about 2 feet away). Partner calls the foul and he says "You need to talk to your partner...she only knocked her into the wall. When we're outta position work with us and let 'em play"

I obsevered him being like that with other officials on Friday. In this case, I would have just assumed he was in a bad mood that day and let it go. Couldn't pass on the F bomb.

BTW, I usually pass on the cute comments unless I have experience with a coach or they demonstrate the don't mind those type of comments...but you do have to pick your spots even with them and I do give them some slack if they respond out of character.

Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

thanks!
Although the rules do not specify the color of the shorts/skirt, they do specify the word "uniform". Uniform means all the same, as in all players should be wearing the same shorts, whatever color they might be.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
In this case, I would have just assumed he was in a bad mood that day and let it go. Couldn't pass on the F bomb.
My point is that if you hadn't made the "smart" comment, there would not have been an F-bomb, and therefore no T.