The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

I am aware that most (if not all) refs have personal guidelines on when to call technical fouls on players and coaches for excessive complaining. I am interested in Ts related to unsportsmanlike conduct, specifically against officials.

I would like to hear when you guys (and gals) slap womeone with Ts. Is there a "magic word" that they have to say that you use as a guideline to automatically slap them a T? How do you define "excessive" complaining? Is bumping or contacting the official automatically a T? How about a player who passes the ball with excessive force to you during a dead ball (almost dragging you with it) because he was upset with a call or non-call? Or a player who refuses to give you the ball after asking for it multiple times and instead puts it on the floor or passes it to another player?

I know that controlling players and coaches is part of good game management and is a deterrent for the game getting out of hand and sets the tone on how the officials should be treated.

Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by actuary77
Is there a "magic word"?

Yes, but that's not the only phrasing that will draw a T.

Quote:
How do you define "excessive" complaining?

I don't really define it. If I've given a warning, and it continues to distract me, then whack. If it doesn't distract me, then I don't care too much.

Quote:
Is bumping or contacting the official automatically a T?

Automatic DQ. Bye-bye.

Quote:
How about a player who passes the ball with excessive force to you during a dead ball (almost dragging you with it) because he was upset with a call or non-call?

Unless I think the player was trying to hit me, I let it go. To me that's like slamming the ball on the floor and then catching it. Yes, it's frustration, but (mostly) controlled.

Quote:
Or a player who refuses to give you the ball after asking for it multiple times and instead puts it on the floor or passes it to another player?

Whack!
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

well actuary, all of the examples that you cited will usually earn you a T in my book. especially intentionally bumping me after a call. That one will probably even earn you a trip to the showers. If I know that the player is just being a baby and will not retrieve the ball or throws it in the opposite direction of me will probably get them a T. I may mention to all of the players that there are 10 of them and 3 of us and to help with getting the ball back in play.

As far as a magic word, I don't have one of those because you hear so many different things on the court. If I waiting for one word I may never hear it. If a player or coach questions my judgement or tells me that was a horrible call or something along those lines I will probably T them up, especially if that is coming from a player. If it is a coach I may mention to him that I am calling the game and he is coaching and to lets keep it that way. Consider that his warning.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I think Chuck nailed it. If you have a player whose even hinting at any of this but nothing to call a T on yet, then it's a good time to get the captain involved. I usually ask the captain to pass along a message to "said player" and help him get it back under control.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

T's and more T's

Hey, besides what Chuckie said, here is my magic word/words.

Anything with the pronoun that includes "you". Like "YOU" are a blank. Or YOU'RE a blank. Or "YOU" guys blank.

Now, that does not include, things like, you missed that call. That's really not name calling. Or something like, "open your eyes". I'll let that go with a warning once, but not twice.

Also, it is your job to watch your partners back. Any waving off or using finger digits behind a officials back will warrant a T, and it is up to you to protect your partners. I can't tell you the number of times I have T'd a player or coach for flipping off my partner as he turns his back.

In general, I tend to error on the side of slack. But everyone has their point of going off and it is best that both you and your partner discuss this before you work. You should all be on the same page as to what you will tolerate and what you will not. Nothing worse than having your partner throw a T when you just let the coach or player get away with saying the same thing to you a moment ago.

My general rule of thumb though is if possible, make sure everyone in the gym knows why you are throwing a T. I try and never throw a T near the bench. I want the coach or player to yell at me clear across the court so the whole gym can hear what he/she said. But I do know there are those "special" situations where you gotta do what you gotta do, but generally, I prefer that they be the ones to put their foots in their mouths and not me.

goose
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

For what it is worth, actuary77, I think I called too few Ts in my early days. Almost anything that someone says doesn't bother me (that's "their" problem, not mine). But I now think it's important to use the technical foul to keep better control of the game, to protect the dignity of the game, and to protect other officials.

I don't have "magic words" (although I suppose certain swear words will earn a T, even if used "positively" - e.g., "You guys are the F-ing best officials I've ever seen!" Thank you, but tweet.). But I do try to penalize comments/actions that reflect negatively on the purpose of high school athletics (or whatever level you are officiating).

Also, while I agree that partners should "look out" for each other -- and I agree that you should penalize a dismissive gesture aimed at your partner when s/he isn't looking -- I generally am not watching my partner have a conversation with a coach. I'm watching the players. (Sometimes, of course, you can kind of do both.) You don't want to be looking at the bench and wonder why a player over here just hit the floor....
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

T'd up the offenders partner last season. He didn't like the call my partner called, voiced his opinion and forgot I was right behind him. He actually flinched at the whistle.

If the ball is thrown at me, depending on where I am on the court, I will usually just step to the side and (again, depending on the situation) give a polite T.

Purposely bumping into me gets you the showers. Especially if you can move me.

Hopefully I have been able to get the coach or captain to calm the player down before it gets to that point.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 02:32pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Or a player who refuses to give you the ball after asking for it multiple times and instead puts it on the floor or passes it to another player?

Whack! [/B][/QUOTE]

Only thing I would change is to make the kid (not an opponent or teammate) get the ball and then I would whack him.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Time to Go Get it Son

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:

Whack!
Only thing I would change is to make the kid (not an opponent or teammate) get the ball and then I would whack him. [/B][/QUOTE]

I did what Stripes suggested, and made the kid, [8th grader] go retrieve the ball, and the coach went ballistic over me making him go get it. Coach ended up earning a T as well, Coach more than deserved it.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
The main thing I get T's for is showing me or my partner up. I expect emotion but it needs to be controlled. Slaming the ball (not catching it) is automatic. Yelling at me across the floor and not calming down once you get my attention.

The principles I use are:

1. Does it fit?
2. Is it effective?
3. Is it defendable?

Hope that helps!

My two sense!
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 03:39pm
9 times

Re: Time to Go Get it Son

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:

Whack!
Only thing I would change is to make the kid (not an opponent or teammate) get the ball and then I would whack him.
I did what Stripes suggested, and made the kid, [8th grader] go retrieve the ball, and the coach went ballistic over me making him go get it. Coach ended up earning a T as well, Coach more than deserved it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have had coaches get upset at me making a kid get the ball, but I always tell them that if he's big enough to throw it away, he's big enough to get it and there's still a penalty for throwing it away from me. This conversation is ALWAYS done as calmly and as matter-of-factly as possible. The kid did something and there is a repercussion. Period.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019