The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:16pm
BBallinRick

Question

A1 is attempting a bounce pass to A2, but the ball hits B1 in the foot and bounces directly back to A1. The kick was NOT intentional as B1 was just shuffling his feet to get into position, but the ball hit his foot. Is this a kickball, or can play resume? Also, if it isn't a kickball, can A1 start a new dribble? Thanks for any help; trying to settle a dispute between my brother and I.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Let's cover the rule first.

In the book it is adressed as an intentional kick. Now you've said it isn't intentional, therefore it's not a violation.

Now I don't have my book with me, but i'd allow A1 to start a new dribble. Although until I look it up I'm not too sure.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

It has to be intentional to be a kicking violation.
The following are direct quotes from the 2004-05 NFHS Rules Book:

"4-29 Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot."
"9-4 A player shall not travel with the ball, as in 4-43, intentionally kick it, as in 4-29, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below.
NOTE: Kicking the ball is a violation only when it is an intentional act; accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg is not a violation."

In your play the player may dribble again as the pass touched another player. Art. 3 below is the appropriate rule.

9-5 ILLEGAL DRIBBLE
"A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 ... A try for field goal.
ART. 2 ... A bat by an opponent.
ART. 3 ... A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player."

So who was right, you or your brother?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 12:31pm
BBallinRick

I was right, but only because I visit here quite often and I remember people saying that a kickball was an intentional act. I'm not a ref, just a fan who likes to know the correct rules. Thanks again guys.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallinRick
I was right, but only because I visit here quite often and I remember people saying that a kickball was an intentional act. I'm not a ref, just a fan who likes to know the correct rules. Thanks again guys.
Thank you for taking the time to try and understand the rules. If more fans were like you, officiating would be a lot easier.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to try and understand the rules. If more fans were like you, officiating would be a lot easier.
Mega dittos to ref
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not a ref, just a fan who likes to know the correct rules. Thanks again guys.
Whoa!! Somebody grab this guy and clone him!!!!

Paul

Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I was calling a men's league a while back and a version of this situation happened. I let the play go and the crowd went wild. One of the players, who is a ref (he had to be because he made a point of reminding me of this) couldn't believe I didn't call the kick. I happened to have an extra rule book and gave it to him after the game. Haven't heard from him since. Also don't call those leagues anymore.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 is attempting a bounce pass to A2, but the ball hits B1 in the foot and bounces directly back to A1. The kick was NOT intentional as B1 was just shuffling his feet to get into position, but the ball hit his foot. Is this a kickball, or can play resume? Also, if it isn't a kickball, can A1 start a new dribble? Thanks for any help; trying to settle a dispute between my brother and I.
[sarcasm] B1 is declared out (World Kickball Rule 14.02 C - An out is: any kicked ball (fair or foul) that is caught.) Any runners on base must tag up in order to advance (Rule 10.05) and are at risk of being put out if they are off the base.[/sarcasm]
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer