Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216
...but when talking to players & coaches, they know what you are talking about when you say "moving pick" or "reach". Can they give you a definition--not a chance. But in order to communicate effectively with coaches/players, you better be able to talk their language.

My sister has a habit of starting a sentence, like, "Gosh the other day I was just standing there on the corner, I mean, you know over there, and this guy just sort of you know..." trailing off, and then saying, "Well you know what I mean." But most of the time I have no idea what she means. Sometimes I feel that way with the players and coaches. I want to say, "No I don't konw what you mean."

I can tell you for certain that at least 95% of non-refs DON"T know what a ref means when the ref says "moving screen". Everyone hears that term and assumes that any screen that moves is illegal. That isn't the case. Any screen can move anywhere as long as there is no contact. Some moving screens are legal, even with lots of contact. But the above 95% of folks "out there" don't know that. So if I see an illegal moving screen, and say the phrase, "moving screen" what I mean and what they hear are two entirely different animals. Then the next time that group of observers sees what they think is a moving screen, they want to know why the ref isn't calling it.
Same with "reach".

The fact of the matter is, if we as refs say the phrases, "Over the back," "moving screen," "reaching in", and several others, we re-inforce false understandings and make everyone's life more difficult. It's far more constructive to say "illegal screen," "hit", "push" and so on.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:05pm
We don't rent pigs

too much communication?

If A scored the winning basket after this bit of end of game management, chances are that somebody on the B side at least thought something along the following lines:

"Why didn't you get a hand in his face??"

"I couldn't!! That ref said if I did ANYTHING he would call a foul on me."

Who was it that first said: "You can't quote/misquote silence."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: too much communication?

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref

Some mime.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

I am all for getting together with my partner late in a close game to make sure we are on the same page, know the team foul count, time out situation and to remind the trail that he or she has the last shot. It would also be a good time for the "R" to check the book and make sure everything is good with the book and to remind the timer when to start the clock.

As for coaching:

Players should know how to play and I am not going to tell them not to "reach" or to set good screens. Some players reach in and steal the ball. A reach is not a foul.

If I have been making the right calls all game long they they should know they what they can and cqnnot do by the last ten seconds.

I will on a free throw situation remind players to let it hit and on an inbound play remind the thrower if it is a spot throw in or they can run the baseline, especially after a timeout.

As far as letting the players decide the game.

I agree. They decide it in the first minute and the last. If you call a foul in the first minute that same call better be a foul in the last minute or second.

Let the players decide the game is just a way if saying I don't want to make the tough and right call and be the deciding factor in the game. Well, if you don't make that call you are the deciding factor in the game.

Now, your judgement of what a foul is may be an entirely different issue. That's another discussion thread.

No one says officiating is easy. You need to make the tough call in the tough situation, especially if you have been calling the same thing a foul all game long. On the other hand, if you have been letting the same thing go all game let it go in the last ten seconds also.

Everyone wants a consistant game and that is what everyone should get.

Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: too much communication?

Quote:
Michael Dukakis.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 08:38pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: too much communication?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Michael Dukakis.
Nope. Helen Keller.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

As far as letting the players decide the game.

I agree. They decide it in the first minute and the last. If you call a foul in the first minute that same call better be a foul in the last minute or second.

Let the players decide the game is just a way if saying I don't want to make the tough and right call and be the deciding factor in the game. Well, if you don't make that call you are the deciding factor in the game.

First, I don't believe that you mean that if I make a call early in the game and, upon reflection, decide that call was a poor one, that I should continue to make the same poor call for the rest of the game for the sake of consistency. And when I say poor call, I am not talking about a blown call. I am thinking of a call that might have been a call/no call situation, or a too-quick-call on a meaningless hand check, etc.

Second, there is often a period of time during a game when I need to adjust to the flow, rhythm, skill level, etc. Perhaps I officiated a rec league game one day and a high school game the next. Sometimes I can make the transition immediately, other times it might take a couple of trips up and down the court to get into the groove. Also, no matter how much I talk about in pre-game, there are officials with whom it is more difficult to work because of style differences. It can take some time for that "silent negotiation" to occur to settle into a pattern by which we will "agree" to call the game. I have worked in games where everything went smoothly and consistently from the get-go, but they are the exception and not the rule.

All of this has nothing to do with willingness to make the right call. It is about the typical adjustments that are made during many games.

PS How do you use the quoting feature that puts in the bold face and the cool lines and include who posted the original comment?

[Edited by Rick Durkee on Nov 18th, 2004 at 09:13 AM]
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: too much communication?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Michael Dukakis.
Nope. Helen Keller.
I don't see a smiley face, JR, but I think you're joking. I'm pretty sure that it was Dukakis (before he ran for President).

But what do I know, eh tomegun? (I was just looking for an excuse to use that line!)
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: too much communication?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Michael Dukakis.
Nope. Helen Keller.
I don't see a smiley face, JR, but I think you're joking. I'm pretty sure that it was Dukakis (before he ran for President).

But what do I know, eh tomegun? (I was just looking for an excuse to use that line!)
According to google you're about a century and a half off.

http://www.askhagatha.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=346

btw, did you get my email?
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: too much communication?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
According to google you're about a century and a half off.
Huh, I googled, but didn't come up with anything. I can live with George Eliot.

And yeah, I got the email. I'll get back to you on it in a minute.