Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I believe the team who inbounded the ball would get another throwin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Assuming there was an initial direction already set, and since there is no violation, the alternating possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends. The throw-in ends when the ball was touched by the player who was inbounds. Therefore, change the arrow to B and make sure the table knows to change the arrow.
I don't have my rule book or case book with me, but I seem to remember talking about this in one of our association meetings. If the held ball occurs simultaneously with the touching, we have a held ball. Possession arrow does not change. Go with AP throw-in, which means the same team gets the ball. I could be wrong though. Its happened before, but don't tell my wife!

Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Geez, I agree in the held ball case. I was referring to the initial play when the ball was swatted into the basket.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Re: I believe the team who inbounded the ball would get another throwin

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Assuming there was an initial direction already set, and since there is no violation, the alternating possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends. The throw-in ends when the ball was touched by the player who was inbounds. Therefore, change the arrow to B and make sure the table knows to change the arrow.
I don't have my rule book or case book with me, but I seem to remember talking about this in one of our association meetings. If the held ball occurs simultaneously with the touching, we have a held ball. Possession arrow does not change. Go with AP throw-in, which means the same team gets the ball. I could be wrong though. Its happened before, but don't tell my wife!

You ain't wrong. Held ball isn't a violation and doesn't end the throw-in. Case book play 6.4.5SitB.

And I won't tell your wife.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

So clock starts when?

A1 is the thrower. A1 holds ball across the OOB plane. B1 touches the ball. Does clock start? I think not.

A1 pulls ball back to the OOB side of the plane and continues his throw-in. OOB violation? Clock running? I think not.

Throw-in continues until ball is released and touches a player in bounds... and then the clock starts and the possesion arrow should change too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And JR nearly always has a casebook play.... found some support: casebook 5.9.4

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Nov 16th, 2004 at 02:36 PM]
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

so when B1 knocks it out of A1's hands and into the air and it goes into the basket, when does the clock start..since it hasn't touched anyone in bounds yet and goes thru the hoop..
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
so when B1 knocks it out of A1's hands and into the air and it goes into the basket, when does the clock start..since it hasn't touched anyone in bounds yet and goes thru the hoop..
Read the case Tony cited. It will give the answer.