The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:16am
Esteemed Participant

Second game of the season...home team has ball at their end, passing it around...shot clock winding down, and A4 tries crosscourt pass along baseline. Pass is a very bad one, but definitely a pass - it hits bottom of rim, deflects straight down, is tapped around a few times and then shot clock horn sounds. I call the violation - home coach wants to know why the clock wasn't reset, so I tell him it has to be a "try" to reset...at halftime, partner tries to tell me how wrong I was about that...what do the esteemed minds of this board think???
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I don't think that incidental contact with the rim would indicate a try in order to reset the shot clock. I wouldn't have reset it either...
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Violation - if it's a pass, it's not a try.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

great call, i would have done the same.no reset
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Rockyroad,

I have some shotclock rules on our associations website at http://home.officiating.com/scbowbo/shotclok.html I think they came from the WOA office a few years ago. You got it right:

The timing device shall stop and reset when play continues:

• When the team loses possession of the ball (the mere touching of a ball by an opponent does not start a new 30-second period if the same team remains in control of the ball)

• When a foul occurs (by either team)

• When a held ball occurs (regardless of which team will get the ball on the AP throw-in)

• When the ball hits the rim on a try for goal

• When a violation occurs (most violations are by the offensive team which becomes a change of possession and clock is reset)

• When the defense commits a violation by:

1) Kicking the ball

2) Striking the ball with a fist

Z

Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Rockyroad,

I have some shotclock rules on our associations website at http://home.officiating.com/scbowbo/shotclok.html I think they came from the WOA office a few years ago. You got it right:

The timing device shall stop and reset when play continues:

• When a held ball occurs (regardless of which team will get the ball on the AP throw-in)

• not sure if rules are different from one state to another on this one -- but my understanding is if there is team control and the defense causes a held ball, & the arrow favors the offense, there is no reset of the shot clock; now if a shot had been attempted (no more team control) & blocked, and then simultaneously recovered by B1 and A2 for a held ball, then we've got a new shot clock
    Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 03:50pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mdray

not sure if rules are different from one state to another on this one -- but my understanding is if there is team control and the defense causes a held ball, & the arrow favors the offense, there is no reset of the shot clock; now if a shot had been attempted (no more team control) & blocked, and then simultaneously recovered by B1 and A2 for a held ball, then we've got a new shot clock
    I don't know either. Those were Washington State shot clock rules that I posted.

Z
    Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 04:30pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Since FED rules do not allow for shot clocks, even by state adoption, any state that does use the shot clock for HS games is free to adopt any rules they want. In MA, we use NCAA rules. And according to NCAA rules, Rocky's call (violation) was exactly right. The shot clock is reset when the ball hits the rim during a try. I always make this point in my pre-game with the timer.

It is also correct that the general rule is that you reset on any held ball. However, there is an exception for the case in which there is team control and the arrow favors the team in control. I learned that one the hard way -- by getting it wrong on the NCAA test a couple years ago.
    Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 04:34pm
    Esteemed Participant

Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias
    Since FED rules do not allow for shot clocks, even by state adoption, any state that does use the shot clock for HS games is free to adopt any rules they want. In MA, we use NCAA rules. And according to NCAA rules, Rocky's call (violation) was exactly right. The shot clock is reset when the ball hits the rim during a try. I always make this point in my pre-game with the timer.

It is also correct that the general rule is that you reset on any held ball. However, there is an exception for the case in which there is team control and the arrow favors the team in control. I learned that one the hard way -- by getting it wrong on the NCAA test a couple years ago.
    The original situation happened in an NCAA game, but the discussion is relevant to HS ball here in WA also...and Chuck, did you have the answers to that NCAA test BEFORE you took it???