The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Coaching young (8yr old) kids, we limit the pressure, etc. One part of the rule is that there cannot be any back court pressure at any time. However, full court pressing is allowed if you are behind by more than 10 points.

What I am trying to figure out (I should have asked one of the refs last year, but at 7 we had no full court, so it did not apply to me. Still, should have asked) is what determines the difference.

IMHO, full court would be on an in-bounds play, whereas backcourt pressure would be due to a defensive rebound.

However, one could also argue that once a ball has been successfully inbounded, that the defense would still be applying "back court" pressure if they stayed there. And therefore, a "press" would be useless.

Opinions?
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

This is an officials forum and their are no rules or definitions about what is a press, so we won't be any help for your local league.

I suggest you speak to the person organizing your league for guide lines.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 07:40am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoachmike
Coaching young (8yr old) kids, we limit the pressure, etc. One part of the rule is that there cannot be any back court pressure at any time. However, full court pressing is allowed if you are behind by more than 10 points.

What I am trying to figure out (I should have asked one of the refs last year, but at 7 we had no full court, so it did not apply to me. Still, should have asked) is what determines the difference.

IMHO, full court would be on an in-bounds play, whereas backcourt pressure would be due to a defensive rebound.

However, one could also argue that once a ball has been successfully inbounded, that the defense would still be applying "back court" pressure if they stayed there. And therefore, a "press" would be useless.

Opinions?
mccoachmike,
Welcome to the forum.

When you amend the written rules, you create a new animal, ...a camel perhaps.
Try to understand, or have explained to you, what the "spirit and intent" of that rule is.

It would seem to me that the backcourt inbound play and the backcourt pressure defense should be interpreted in the same manner, to prevent the newbee players from getting excited and making mistakes very close to the opponents basket.
mick
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Coach, we have a similiar rule in the youth leagues here. No pressing in BC until the last two minutes of the game. That means that if there's a throw-in or the defense rbounds the ball, the opponent cannot pressure at all. They must move to the opponent's FC. Also, they cannot stand at the division line. They must allow the ball to cross the division line before applying any pressure.

Hope that helps.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

In one our local youth leagues, if the offense gets the defensive rebound and fastbreaks then the defense can now press.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Coach, we have a similiar rule in the youth leagues here. No pressing in BC until the last two minutes of the game. That means that if there's a throw-in or the defense rbounds the ball, the opponent cannot pressure at all. They must move to the opponent's FC. Also, they cannot stand at the division line. They must allow the ball to cross the division line before applying any pressure.

Hope that helps.
Unfortunately, we actully have them listed as two different rules, titled: 1) Backcourt Pressure other than Fullcourt Pressing and 2) Fullcourt Pressing.

For the 6-7 yr olds, it is easy. No pressing, no back court. We actually restrict the defence to inside of the 3 pt line.

For 8 it gets weird, in that rule 1) says Not allowed anytime. Further goes on to say the defense picks up the offense at the half line. But Rule 2) says Full Court Press is allowed if you are behind by 10 pts or more. They seems to be in conflict. Unless like I was theorizing, they intend FCP to imply on inbounds only, and backcourt the rest of the time.

Oh, and of course there is nothing in the rules defining the terms. That would be too easy!
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
For 8 it gets weird, in that rule 1) says Not allowed anytime. Further goes on to say the defense picks up the offense at the half line. But Rule 2) says Full Court Press is allowed if you are behind by 10 pts or more. They seems to be in conflict. Unless like I was theorizing, they intend FCP to imply on inbounds only, and backcourt the rest of the time.

Oh, and of course there is nothing in the rules defining the terms. That would be too easy!
My guess is that it wasn't well written, and that any backcourt defense is allowed when a team is 10 points behind. But you'd better check with others in your league. Although if your team is good enough that you'll never be 10 points or more behind, it won't matter, will it?
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

My guess is that it wasn't well written, and that any backcourt defense is allowed when a team is 10 points behind. But you'd better check with others in your league. Although if your team is good enough that you'll never be 10 points or more behind, it won't matter, will it?

Uh, Jewel,
What about being 12 points ahead?
mick
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Opinions?
IMHO, there should be no pressing for 8-yr olds at any time in a game. Coaches need to worry more about teaching fundamentals then trying to win games with a press. Pressing at that age seems to be more about winning than teaching.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:

Opinions?
IMHO, there should be no pressing for 8-yr olds at any time in a game. Coaches need to worry more about teaching fundamentals then trying to win games with a press. Pressing at that age seems to be more about winning than teaching.
I agree completely, and with your post in my other thread re: pivoting on a rebound.

Unfortunately, we have many coaches/parents that are living through their kids, and for them winning is all it is about. Just as an example, I had to explain to one parent last year, that no, I would not post my defense in front of the offense. At 7yr old, it would actually be more effective (especially when my 4ft center was matched up against a 5 foot center), but it is not the way to play the game.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

coach mike, sorry that some people here are rude and don't want to help you, i.e. blindzebra. The kids leagues that I have worked require that the players must remain within the 3 point arc until the ball crosses the division line after a throw in from the backcourt. After a defensive rebound, once the ball is secured and the player has established control the new defense must go to the front court within the arc until ball crosses division line unless by some wild stretch the offense has a player that knows how to dribble and is trying to push the ball up the court on a slow break then pressure may be applied.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Hope that helps.
Unfortunately, we actully have them listed as two different rules, titled: 1) Backcourt Pressure other than Fullcourt Pressing and 2) Fullcourt Pressing.

For the 6-7 yr olds, it is easy. No pressing, no back court. We actually restrict the defence to inside of the 3 pt line.

And to add another wrinkle - some leagues allow only man-to-man pressing in the BC. Can't double team the dribbler in the BC.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
[B
IMHO, there should be no pressing for 8-yr olds at any time in a game. Coaches need to worry more about teaching fundamentals then trying to win games with a press. Pressing at that age seems to be more about winning than teaching. [/B]
This is SO TRUE. If I ran the league I would eliminate any pressing for those age groups so as to try and eliminate the "win at all cost" mentality. I would eliminate the 3-pt shot as well. Too often I see kids trying to sink a 3 when they can barely master good form/technique to shot a 10 ft shot or even dribble the ball properly.

Parents can be raucous if not down right ruthless when it comes to winning the game. Define the spirit of the league as instructional and a quest for fun and you'll have happier participants. Let it get out of hand and before you know it, your league dwindles to a few teams of hothsots and basketball bullies after many kids simply quit.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Too often I see kids trying to sink a 3 when they can barely master good form/technique to shot a 10 ft shot or even dribble the ball properly.
Chris,
IMO, this is a coaching problem.
mick
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Uh, Jewel,
What about being 12 points ahead?
mick
At that point, he can afford to be magnanimous and not worry about it!