View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 07:40am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoachmike
Coaching young (8yr old) kids, we limit the pressure, etc. One part of the rule is that there cannot be any back court pressure at any time. However, full court pressing is allowed if you are behind by more than 10 points.

What I am trying to figure out (I should have asked one of the refs last year, but at 7 we had no full court, so it did not apply to me. Still, should have asked) is what determines the difference.

IMHO, full court would be on an in-bounds play, whereas backcourt pressure would be due to a defensive rebound.

However, one could also argue that once a ball has been successfully inbounded, that the defense would still be applying "back court" pressure if they stayed there. And therefore, a "press" would be useless.

Opinions?
mccoachmike,
Welcome to the forum.

When you amend the written rules, you create a new animal, ...a camel perhaps.
Try to understand, or have explained to you, what the "spirit and intent" of that rule is.

It would seem to me that the backcourt inbound play and the backcourt pressure defense should be interpreted in the same manner, to prevent the newbee players from getting excited and making mistakes very close to the opponents basket.
mick