View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
[B
IMHO, there should be no pressing for 8-yr olds at any time in a game. Coaches need to worry more about teaching fundamentals then trying to win games with a press. Pressing at that age seems to be more about winning than teaching. [/B]
This is SO TRUE. If I ran the league I would eliminate any pressing for those age groups so as to try and eliminate the "win at all cost" mentality. I would eliminate the 3-pt shot as well. Too often I see kids trying to sink a 3 when they can barely master good form/technique to shot a 10 ft shot or even dribble the ball properly.

Parents can be raucous if not down right ruthless when it comes to winning the game. Define the spirit of the league as instructional and a quest for fun and you'll have happier participants. Let it get out of hand and before you know it, your league dwindles to a few teams of hothsots and basketball bullies after many kids simply quit.