Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by kgruber
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Two year's ago I created some bizarre plays to test an official's very detailed rules knowledge. One question on the test I created was:

While A1 is waiting to receive the ball to attempt a free throw, B1 and B2 in marked lane spaces bend over and touch their hands to the floor inside the free throw lane, while keeping their feet in the marked lane spaces. B1 and B2 remain in these positions while the official places the ball at the disposal of A1 and he attempts the free throw. If A1 misses, should a call be made? Explain.
I assume there would be no violation since no FEET touched the lane. Do you have a rule reference for this example other than ones described above?
Well, I was thinking that the player would be where they are touching. When touching two areas, one has priority over the other for determining location. I thought that they would be considered in the lane if they're touching both in and out. However, the rule that defines this concept lists only inbounds/out-of-bounds, frontcout/backcourt, and behind/in-front-of three point arc. It does not include the lane.

We could infer from that rule that the player touching the lane with a hand could be in the lane. However, there is nothing explicit in the rule that I've seen to support that.
Somehow I keep getting this vision of a player prone in the lane with his feet outside the lane....
mick