The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216

If A1 jumps from front court, catches, and lands in backcourt, it is not a violation and he can then pass to A2 in backcourt! What sense does it make to say that if he gets rid of it while in the air, and it is caught by A2 in backcourt, it is a violation? If he just held on a little longer until he landed, then it wouldn't be! This seems very incosistent. Am I missing something here?
Nope, what you've written above is exactly how the rule works for any airborne defender intercepting a pass, or an airborne player grabbing a tipped jump ball or a throw-in and going from front court to back court. Might not make sense, but it's what we gotta use.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

If A1 jumps from front court, catches, and lands in backcourt, it is not a violation and he can then pass to A2 in backcourt! What sense does it make to say that if he gets rid of it while in the air, and it is caught by A2 in backcourt, it is a violation? If he just held on a little longer until he landed, then it wouldn't be! This seems very incosistent. Am I missing something here?
Nope, what you've written above is exactly how the rule works for any airborne defender intercepting a pass, or an airborne player grabbing a tipped jump ball or a throw-in and going from front court to back court. Might not make sense, but it's what we gotta use.
I agree--that's the rule. I don't think anyone's debating that. You bring up a good point that it does apply to any situation involving the first player to establish player/team control after a situation where there is not team control.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
You bring up a good point that it does apply to any situation involving the first player to establish player/team control after a situation where there is not team control.
[/B][/QUOTE]Should be first airborne player going from front to back court, Coach. Almost the same situation---defender intercepts a pass with one foot on ground in front court, and then steps into the back court with the other foot after establishing player/team control---> backcourt violation.

Btw, welcome to the forum, Coach.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
You bring up a good point that it does apply to any situation involving the first player to establish player/team control after a situation where there is not team control.
[/B]
Should be first airborne player going from front to back court, Coach. Almost the same situation---defender intercepts a pass with one foot on ground in front court, and then steps into the back court with the other foot after establishing player/team control---> backcourt violation.

Btw, welcome to the forum, Coach. [/B][/QUOTE]

Right--I understood it that way--just failed to include that detail in my previous post.

Thanks.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
2)I heard NFHS might be changing this ruling, in the future, so that question #99 would be True...has anyone else heard this?
Yes, I've heard this. I think it might have been a proposal this past year.

Interestingly, NCAA moved away from that interp to the current FED interp (the exception applies only to the airborne player catching the pass / jump).

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Have you ever seen this exact situation mentioned in a case book during a previous year?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Why 99 is true

I think of it this way when it comes to the division line during a throw in...

It disappears. As in a jump ball (see case 9.9.1 sit b), the division line only appears once a player with the ball has established themselves on the floor (not where they took off from). And both the jump ball and throw ins are referenced in 4.12.6

If you read 9.9.3 closely, it notes "...player legally jumping from his/her frontcourt...return to the floor with one or more feet on backcourt...it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt."

As for the "pass" twist, it still doesn't matter as again, the line doesn't appear until a player who has contact with the floor has possession of the ball.

This basically all comes down the fact that there is no team control during a throw in.

So I answered 99 true (at least using this line of thought).
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Re: Why 99 is true

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopref
I think of it this way when it comes to the division line during a throw in...

It disappears. As in a jump ball (see case 9.9.1 sit b), the division line only appears once a player with the ball has established themselves on the floor (not where they took off from). And both the jump ball and throw ins are referenced in 4.12.6

If you read 9.9.3 closely, it notes "...player legally jumping from his/her frontcourt...return to the floor with one or more feet on backcourt...it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt."

As for the "pass" twist, it still doesn't matter as again, the line doesn't appear until a player who has contact with the floor has possession of the ball.

This basically all comes down the fact that there is no team control during a throw in.

So I answered 99 true (at least using this line of thought).
Unfortunately, the correct answer for #99 is false according to the NFHS answer key sheet. And that's what counts. And R9-9-3 says it's an exception for a "player", not "players"

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 11th, 2004 at 01:06 PM]